• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Mantis Shrimp vs. Blue Ring *Incredible Video*

Status
Not open for further replies.
cuttlegirl;78256 said:
It seems like the stomatopod avoided the beak of the blue ring. When I checked Reef Central, the thread from Dr. Caldwell said that the mantis shrimp ate the blue ring :goofysca: .

Oh, so he ate everything BUT the beak to avoid the toxins! Wow, that is really, pretty amazing!

EDIT: I just watched the video again, and everytime it gives a chill! I don't know why, but that mantis attacking the Octo just send a chill down my spine.

binaryterror;78258 said:
Oh, so he ate everything BUT the beak to avoid the toxins! Wow, that is really, pretty amazing!

I meant while he was fighting the octopus he seemed to avoid the beak. He would have to not eat the whole salivary gland to avoid the poison.

I need to do some more research...

seeing as how the squilla we normally catch are 4-5in, i went looking to see how big the get....

on one site i ran across this:
Meet Blueboard, Not Your Average Philodendron

# Use competing animals to control or remove the mantis shrimp. This is much more troublesome and less reliable than using traps, and may involve the temporary removal of other inhabitants out of the container. Unless the competing creature is significantly larger than the mantis shrimp, there's every chance that you're going to lose it instead. These are not recommended methods for mantis shrimp removal.
2. Octopuses- remove potential prey, then introduce borrowed, rented, or bought octopus into tank. Make sure there are no relatively large openings or the thing will easily escape and wander around your kitchen at night in search of food. The size thing goes here as well. Large mantis shrimps will gladly eat smaller octopi.

cuttlegirl;78263 said:
I meant while he was fighting the octopus he seemed to avoid the beak. He would have to not eat the whole salivary gland to avoid the poison.

I need to do some more research...
I noticed the same thing; it appeared the mantis was trying to flip the octo so it was beak-down...

the whole time i was thinking "go little octo jet off in to your den where the mean ol stomeopod cant get you!!!!"

chris

Mantis shrimp are so stinking fast. Mr. Blue Ring didn't stand a chance in hell. Kind of a sad ending for such a beautiful creature. Bludgeoned to death by food.

Fini;78291 said:
Mantis shrimp are so stinking fast. Mr. Blue Ring didn't stand a chance in hell. Kind of a sad ending for such a beautiful creature. Bludgeoned to death by food.

Yeah, although some kind of ant (trap-jaw ant?) has mandibles that just beat out the mantis shrimp for "fastest strike in an animal":
Ant jaws break speed record, propel insects into air

When dealing with a Kaiju-like "battle of the invertebrates", I have to root for the ceph. I mean, a squilla is a freakin' bug! D**ned arthropods! Shrimp = food. Octo = companion. Next time, try pitting more equally-sized combatants! That was sooo not fair. If it has an exoskeleton, it's the enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back