Mantis Shrimp vs. Blue Ring *Incredible Video*

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Wow, it looks like Mr. Shrimp won. That blue ring took quite a beating.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
It seems like the stomatopod avoided the beak of the blue ring. When I checked Reef Central, the thread from Dr. Caldwell said that the mantis shrimp ate the blue ring :goofysca: .

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
cuttlegirl;78256 said:
It seems like the stomatopod avoided the beak of the blue ring. When I checked Reef Central, the thread from Dr. Caldwell said that the mantis shrimp ate the blue ring :goofysca: .
Oh, so he ate everything BUT the beak to avoid the toxins! Wow, that is really, pretty amazing!

EDIT: I just watched the video again, and everytime it gives a chill! I don't know why, but that mantis attacking the Octo just send a chill down my spine.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Registered
binaryterror;78258 said:
Oh, so he ate everything BUT the beak to avoid the toxins! Wow, that is really, pretty amazing!
I meant while he was fighting the octopus he seemed to avoid the beak. He would have to not eat the whole salivary gland to avoid the poison.

I need to do some more research...

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
seeing as how the squilla we normally catch are 4-5in, i went looking to see how big the get....

on one site i ran across this:
http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pest/catch.htm

# Use competing animals to control or remove the mantis shrimp. This is much more troublesome and less reliable than using traps, and may involve the temporary removal of other inhabitants out of the container. Unless the competing creature is significantly larger than the mantis shrimp, there's every chance that you're going to lose it instead. These are not recommended methods for mantis shrimp removal.
2. Octopuses- remove potential prey, then introduce borrowed, rented, or bought octopus into tank. Make sure there are no relatively large openings or the thing will easily escape and wander around your kitchen at night in search of food. The size thing goes here as well. Large mantis shrimps will gladly eat smaller octopi.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
cuttlegirl;78263 said:
I meant while he was fighting the octopus he seemed to avoid the beak. He would have to not eat the whole salivary gland to avoid the poison.

I need to do some more research...
I noticed the same thing; it appeared the mantis was trying to flip the octo so it was beak-down...

Fini

Wonderpus
Supporter
Mantis shrimp are so stinking fast. Mr. Blue Ring didn't stand a chance in hell. Kind of a sad ending for such a beautiful creature. Bludgeoned to death by food.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Fini;78291 said:
Mantis shrimp are so stinking fast. Mr. Blue Ring didn't stand a chance in hell. Kind of a sad ending for such a beautiful creature. Bludgeoned to death by food.
Yeah, although some kind of ant (trap-jaw ant?) has mandibles that just beat out the mantis shrimp for "fastest strike in an animal":
http://www.physorg.com/news75469635.html

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
When dealing with a Kaiju-like "battle of the invertebrates", I have to root for the ceph. I mean, a squilla is a freakin' bug! D**ned arthropods! Shrimp = food. Octo = companion. Next time, try pitting more equally-sized combatants! That was sooo not fair. If it has an exoskeleton, it's the enemy.

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
It wasn't my experiment. And it wasn't intended to be a fair fight, or a fight at all. It was a test for the Stomatopod's resistance to the Blue Rings venom.

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Oh, I surely recognize the scientific validity of the experiment, no problem there, it's just that I always root for the ceph. When we're gone I want to see them attain supremacy over this planet. It always should have belonged to them. After all, Cthulhu planted them here.

And, much as I'd like a squilla of my own to pet and cuddle - particularly if it's a really big one - man, they're just nasty critters. Cool-looking, though.

binaryterror

GPO
Registered
Yeah, I understand. I was rooting fot the octopus also, but he didn't stand a chance. It would be pretty cool to see a fair fight with an octo and a Stomatopod

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
erich orser;78346 said:
Oh, I surely recognize the scientific validity of the experiment, no problem there.
But there was a size variable introduced. A better design would be to have similar sized animals. From that tape they still don't know if squilla is immune to the toxin because the octopus couldn't get a bite in!

I wonder if the test was repeated with different sized animals and what ethics approval was required. We'd have to jump through hoops to be allowed to do that. BTW our animal protection act would recognise the octopus as an animal but not the squilla :lol:

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miamibeachsteve

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean