• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

mantis shrimp - food?

sindas

Blue Ring
Registered
would a bimac octo like matis shrimp? i figure it's usually a hated hitchiker and LFSs may just giv them out or sell them cheaply? just an idea.

Not a good idea -better to buy frozen shrimp for your octopus. A mantis shrimp can kill an octopus (and vice versa) but you don't want to take any chances.
If you want to feed live shimp, try the common shore shrimp.

Nancy

sindas,
Roy Caldwell (Neogonodactylus) did a brief experiment (very brief) at Berkeley introducing a mantis and a blue ring. As I recall the expectation was that the octopus would consider the shrimp as food. The actual results were startling. The speed of the shrimp to spot, take down and kill the octo was almost too fast for the camera. I believe Roy still has this video posted on reef central and if this post is not enough to convince you to avoid an encounter, please research it further.

I have seen video of this occurring in the wild. It would definitely not be the first food of choice but is a known natural prey item of octopods.

There is a possibility of injury to the octopus as with live crabs as well.

Be prepared.

Greg

The difference between a mantis shrimp and a crab is the Mantis will generally be smarter, stronger, and more aggressive. An octopus has a much greater chance of being successful eating a crab than a Mantis Shrimp.

PS - That video is really sad! I was thinking of a (pretty much) full size octo and a mantis that was at most half the size of the octo. My thoughts were reversed from what it really was though. I didn't see any ink from the blue-ring, which seems weird to me. Is it noticeable when they release TTX or is it only through a bite?

shipposhack;102040 said:
The difference between a mantis shrimp and a crab is the Mantis will generally be smarter, stronger, and more aggressive. An octopus has a much greater chance of being successful eating a crab than a Mantis Shrimp.

PS - That video is really sad! I was thinking of a (pretty much) full size octo and a mantis that was at most half the size of the octo. My thoughts were reversed from what it really was though. I didn't see any ink from the blue-ring, which seems weird to me. Is it noticeable when they release TTX or is it only through a bite?

I don't think the octopus in that video had a chance to ink, or even see more than a flash of the Mantis before it was too late. It was most likely dead/severely damaged on first contact and the Mantis just kept pounding away to make sure.

There's video of one in the documentary film "Ocean Deep" defending its hole from an Octopus, appears to be a large Bimac. It was much smaller than the octopus, but it kept approaching the octopus, striking it, and running away until the octopus got the point and left it alone.

I've seen a large Mantis chop a damsel right in two, about as fast as this one hit that octopus. Ferocious creatures. I could have had one for free, but I didn't want to find out what would happen to my fingers if I made a mistake.

omg...wow

im so glad i asked this question on here. i'm gonnna have to make sure i don't get one of these from live rock and if i do get rid of it, i never even imagined one could take on an octo.

I'm telling you, they are EVIL!!! I have read of people getting their fingers severely damaged; sliced and/or broken by them, not to mention some of them can comepletely shatter a tank. Most of the Mantis' stay small, around 4", but the Peacocks grow to about 12". Thank goodness they don't get any bigger than that, as far as we know.

Googled "Mantis Shrimp Injury" and found this from Dr. Roy Caldwell.

How dangerous are the strikes of common mantis shrimps to humans? (Dr. R. Caldwell)

I handle stomatopods every day in our lab and when I'm in the field it is not uncommon to measure and sex 150 animals in an evening. Needless to say, I'm struck fairly often. Some species are far worse than others, but it usually hurts. Even a 2 cm Gonodactylus can draw blood and a 4 cm animal can drive the dactyl tips to the bone. Aside from a two inch slice in my hand made by a large lysiosquillid (by the uropod spine, not the dactyl), the most severe injury I have incurred was from a 7 cm Gonodactylus chiragra that drove its dactyl into the joint of my index finger and the tip broke off. It took some minor surgery to remove it. But that is nothing compared to what happen to a diver from South Africa who wrote me a few years ago describing his attempt to grab by hand an 18 cm Odontodactylus. The animal severely injured his finger which became infected by a chiton-digesting bacteria. The infection did not respond to the usual antibiotics. In the end, they amputated the finger. Be careful out there!

- Dr. Roy Caldwell

If you say more bad things about Mantis shrimp I'm sure Neogonodactylus will give you an earful. I think they would be cool to have as a pet. I just don't know how to properly care for them and haven't really researched anything as of right now.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're absolutely fascinating and magnificent creatures. They're just not to be underestimated when it comes to their destructive abilities. For a species only tank they would be great.

Like I said, I could have had one for free, it was a tempting offer, but I don't want to risk getting my fingers pulvarized.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back