mantis shrimp - food?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by sindas, Sep 22, 2007.

1. sindas

sindas Blue Ring Registered

would a bimac octo like matis shrimp? i figure it's usually a hated hitchiker and LFSs may just giv them out or sell them cheaply? just an idea.

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Not a good idea -better to buy frozen shrimp for your octopus. A mantis shrimp can kill an octopus (and vice versa) but you don't want to take any chances.
    If you want to feed live shimp, try the common shore shrimp.

Nancy

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

sindas,
    Roy Caldwell (Neogonodactylus) did a brief experiment (very brief) at Berkeley introducing a mantis and a blue ring. As I recall the expectation was that the octopus would consider the shrimp as food. The actual results were startling. The speed of the shrimp to spot, take down and kill the octo was almost too fast for the camera. I believe Roy still has this video posted on reef central and if this post is not enough to convince you to avoid an encounter, please research it further.

4. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

5. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

I have seen video of this occurring in the wild. It would definitely not be the first food of choice but is a known natural prey item of octopods.

There is a possibility of injury to the octopus as with live crabs as well.

Be prepared.

Greg

6. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

The difference between a mantis shrimp and a crab is the Mantis will generally be smarter, stronger, and more aggressive. An octopus has a much greater chance of being successful eating a crab than a Mantis Shrimp.

PS - That video is really sad! I was thinking of a (pretty much) full size octo and a mantis that was at most half the size of the octo. My thoughts were reversed from what it really was though. I didn't see any ink from the blue-ring, which seems weird to me. Is it noticeable when they release TTX or is it only through a bite?

7. Animal Mother

I don't think the octopus in that video had a chance to ink, or even see more than a flash of the Mantis before it was too late. It was most likely dead/severely damaged on first contact and the Mantis just kept pounding away to make sure.

There's video of one in the documentary film "Ocean Deep" defending its hole from an Octopus, appears to be a large Bimac. It was much smaller than the octopus, but it kept approaching the octopus, striking it, and running away until the octopus got the point and left it alone.

I've seen a large Mantis chop a damsel right in two, about as fast as this one hit that octopus. Ferocious creatures. I could have had one for free, but I didn't want to find out what would happen to my fingers if I made a mistake.

8. sindas

sindas Blue Ring Registered

omg...wow

im so glad i asked this question on here. i'm gonnna have to make sure i don't get one of these from live rock and if i do get rid of it, i never even imagined one could take on an octo.

9. bluezombie

bluezombie Blue Ring Registered

10. Animal Mother

That second link is the exact part of the documentary film I was referring to, maybe it's "Deep Sea"... all those film titles confuse me. Johnny Deep narrates.

11. bluezombie

bluezombie Blue Ring Registered

I'm terrified of these things now, they look like they came straight from the depths of hell.

12. Animal Mother

I'm telling you, they are EVIL!!! I have read of people getting their fingers severely damaged; sliced and/or broken by them, not to mention some of them can comepletely shatter a tank. Most of the Mantis' stay small, around 4", but the Peacocks grow to about 12". Thank goodness they don't get any bigger than that, as far as we know.

13. Animal Mother

Googled "Mantis Shrimp Injury" and found this from Dr. Roy Caldwell.

14. shipposhack

If you say more bad things about Mantis shrimp I'm sure Neogonodactylus will give you an earful. I think they would be cool to have as a pet. I just don't know how to properly care for them and haven't really researched anything as of right now.

15. Animal Mother

Don't get me wrong, I think they're absolutely fascinating and magnificent creatures. They're just not to be underestimated when it comes to their destructive abilities. For a species only tank they would be great.

Like I said, I could have had one for free, it was a tempting offer, but I don't want to risk getting my fingers pulvarized.

16. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

I just returned from northern Queensland where I was able to collect several A. aculeatus. One was in the act of preying on a large (7 cm) Gonodactylus smithii) which it had bitten and was holding, but which was not yet dead. Stomatopods make up a substantial part of the diet of my octopus species - and many stomatopods eat octopus. As usual, it all has to do with relative size.

Roy

17. steenmillinder

steenmillinder Cuttlefish Registered

stomatopods are SO cool! i'd like a peacock spec. tank, but i guess it has to be made of steel or maybe adamantium or somthing... anybody knows what size of tank could hold an animal like that?

18. shipposhack

Go to reefcentral.com and find the mantis shrimp forum and at the top there is a list (made by Roy) that tells you all about lots of stomatopods.

19. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

A friend of mine did an internship at the Smithsonian, sorting whale stomach contents (thank goodness that wasn't my first marine bio project... doubt I would be here! She's in med school now :roll:). Among the hundreds of ceph beaks, in many whale stomachs (sorry, I can't remember what species), she would find the remains of one - and only ever one - stomatopod.

20. Animal Mother

Hmm, any theory as to why just one?

Taste bad? :yuck: