Mammoth Ammonite in NZ

Coming soon

Tintenfisch;119683 said:
Will if I can - not sure when we'll next be down, but we do make it occasionally.

Hey Tintenfisch. Im going to be in NZ around the first of November. By any chance do you do any fossil hunting? By any chance can we meet up and do a bit of hunting? Crossing my fingers.

NZ

Architeuthoceras;119733 said:
When you go, be sure to stop off at Hawkes Bay and get a photo of this Mammoth Ammonite. :wink:

I already have my ticket for november, and I also got myself a map book of NZ. I will be flying into Christchurch. I cant seem to find Hawks Bay? Now im wondering how far from Christchurch it is?
Ron

a mammoth ammonite which will be seen by the public for the first time. Several were found in Hawke's Bay

Now, WHY didn't Hamish Campbell or James Crampton tell me about this?? I know both of them... how do I ask them politely?

BTW, the dreaded baa-baa is on the decline in NZ. Unfortunately dairy products have become a valued export, and cattle are now polluting the freshwater ecosystem and turning paddocks into mires.

The giant Jurassic Lytoceras is from a locality a little way SW of Auckland, not from Hawke's Bay. It belongs to the Institute of Geological & Nuclear Sciences near Wellington, but is presently on display at the Museum of NZ.

I have a photo of the specimen, with the late curator Ian Keyes, taken at IGNS. Unfortunately the image is on my computer in NZ and I am at present in Calgary.

I am unaware of any giant ammonoids from the Maastrichtian of Hawke's Bay, though they are known from the NE South Island (~1m diameter).

baldtankman;127794 said:
I no James pretty well maybe I should ask?

James Crampton works on Cretaceous rather than Jurassic, and hasn't really worked with ammonoids, as far as I know.

I haven't been to "Te Papa" (the meaningless Polynesian subtitle attached to any government institution/department; in this case, for the Museum of New Zealand, translating as "the mud") since the beast went on display, but it ought to be in a good position to photograph, if you find it convenient to do so. Say, shots clearly showing the broken-off flanges and sutures etc... and especially if there are signs that the flanges were originally attached (wrapped around) the previous whorl.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back