Malacology - H.G. Wells Style

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps someone a little more familiar with the web/with ammonites could compile a list of ammonite or ammonite-related sites. :)

Reaction score
I was doing a little pleasure reading yesterday. My old invert zoology book Invertebrates by Brusca and Brusca has several branches of possible molluscan phylogeny, but nothing concrete. The funny thing is I have the feeling that there's a lot more to the origin of the cephs than ammonites and belemites, but I'm not sure what that may be.

Evolution: The itch you just can't scratch without a little spectacled beagle and a Way-Back machine...

Still though... Does there seem to be any indication of punctuated equilibrium along the cephalopod line? Any quantum leaps in ceph evolution over the last few hundred million years?

Sushi, Sake, and Pocky

John

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
I think phyletic gradualism in ammonoids is what makes them such good index fossils. Except for "punctuated" radiations after major extinction events, the ammonoid line is fairly smooth from their appearance in the Late Silurian?/Early Devonian, until their disappearance at the end of the Cretaceous.

Coleoids (with hard parts) appear in the Early Carboniferous. Could a cephalopod without recognizable or unfossilizable hard parts or without hardparts at all have evolved at the same time? Or even before? The great diversity of living cephalopods makes me think......

Where is that Wayback Machine?

:nautilus:

Reaction score
Maybe this is a weird question, but why aren't there any freshwater cephalopods? I mean, considering that others molluscs managed to colonize freshwater and land, it stands to reason that at least a FEW species of ceph might have tried... Any thoughts?

Sushi and Sake, and the occasional glass of Kirin Rose Life Milk Tea,

John

Reaction score
Heads up!

Starting July 8, "The Future is Wild" will be shown on Animal Planet as a new weekly series featuring all new weirdies from the far future! All hail the molluscan overlords! Who'll be making pearls NOW?!?!?

Sushi and Sake, but hold the Tako-Yaki

John

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
All,

Well, I'll be a monkey's nephew...

Just learned that H.G.Wells was a pupil of Thomas Huxley's. A nifty biographical detail, isn't it?

Clem

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Are we talking Huxley as in Darwin's Bulldog? The man who destroyed Richard Owen?

Who wouldn't have loved to present in the great debate between Huxley and Bishop Wilberforce, IMHO the first and greatest direct clash between religious doctrine and emerging evolutionary theory. Oh, to be a fly on the wall (in a top hat).

Didn't know that!

Phil, (not at all in a pretentious mood).

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Phil said:
Are we talking Huxley as in Darwin's Bulldog? The man who destroyed Richard Owen?
The very one.

The authors of the recent book "The Mistaken Extinction" had a little fun with poor Owen, presenting his own personal evolution in photographs: from strapping young man to hollow-eyed wretch. A wicked "in" joke, but payback's a-

:wink:

Clem

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds great, I'll have a look out for that one.

Was it written by Gideon Mantell's great-great-grandson by any chance? Just desserts, methinks! :twisted:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vansaul

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak