Making choices for school.

H. lunulata said:
do marine bioologists make alot of money if so how much

Well, it is a sad fact that most MB's make less than 200,000.00 (u.s.) per year...it is enough to pay the bills, but barely...just ask Dr. O'Shea's wife !!!

.... and a 'little' more than I was expecting; I'd knock off about 7 zero's, and the '2'.

cthulhu77 said:
Well, it is a sad fact that most MB's make less than 200,000.00 (u.s.) per year...it is enough to pay the bills, but barely...just ask Dr. O'Shea's wife !!!

:shock: Please tell me that's not a starting wage.

If it is, I need to get into a new profession. With archaeology, it depends on if you are working for a Gov. agency, a consulting agency or an educational institution.

Working for the Governement is generaly the highest paying overall with about a 60-80k/year starting wage (at least it is up here in the North).
The educational institution is generaly the lowest paying as it all depends on funding..... Ahh the bane of science. :hmm:

I do not know where you have been seeing MB make that much, but let me know :smile: . Most people just out of college make around 20,00-35,000 a year, if they can find a job. And sad to say it but it does not go too much higher than that unless you are world famous. If you are looking to make money MB is the wrong job. The people that make the most are probably College Professors.

Nancy said:
Don't let your mom push you into French courses unless you really want to study French - except for reading some menus, it won't help you. (Yes, I took French courses and used to be Officially Bilingual.)

Nancy

Well, there's something to be said for Guerin's 1908 publication "Contribution a l'Etude des Systemes Cutane, Musculaire et Nerveux de l'Appareil Tentaculaire des Cephalopodes"-- although mostly for that kind of thing, Bill Kier's (http://www.bio.unc.edu/faculty/kier/) work is more modern and accessible. But, in general, French isn't so useful as a "lingua franca" anymore. Lucky for me, English seems to be the most useful for most things I'm interested in...

chrono_war01 said:
Did my project and my teacher said that there are no such things a Messie and Archi, Shame.

That's awful! I really get upset when I hear about teachers denying things they just aren't familiar with as untrue.

Have you considered giving your teacher a copy of Giant Squid and Colossal Squid Fact Sheet
???

I'm still angry when I think back to occasions where a teacher criticized or downgraded me when I was right and s/he was wrong. In particular, I did a science project on seahorses, and described the fact that the female lays eggs in the male's pouch, so the male is the one who is "pregnant" and carries the young. This teacher must have had some weird psychological issues with this, because s/he refused to admit the possibility that this was how seahorses' biology really is, just because s/he'd never heard of it before... It still makes me mad, particularly since s/he graded my whole project very badly because of this. grrrrrr. I say s/he because the projects were graded by all the science teachers in the school, so I never found out which one it was who graded my project. As a kid, I didn't want to make waves, but in retrospect, if I could go back, I would make a stink.

Maybe I'm just still mad about my seahorse experience, but I think any teacher with that sort of attitude should be fed to a squid. (Feeding someone to a seahorse is not as much of a threat, somehow.)

nah, how she thinks of squid is werid, she gave me a -c and a note saying that although it 'sounded' scientific, you should not indulge in fiction and should research more before you submit your work. :mad:

I would love to put a lion's mane jellyfish on her head for a few hours, soak her in fish head chum and toss her overboard into some hungry Humbolts!

Life is cruel and unusual

"Indulge in fiction?" What was your project like, Chrono? It could be that she didn't interpret the data correctly.

But it is still frustrating, isn't it?

"It's a travesty! It's a sham! It's a mockery! It's a traveshamockery!"
-Squidman-

I meant indulging in reading fiction and the project was supposed to be something that is not fiction, such as history, geopgraphy, Life of some famous git...you know, the boring stuff that teachers like.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back