Madrona Point January 4 2014

Did you see any eggs? The number of fish hanging around made me wonder if she was brooding but I could not identify any in the video.

I didn't see any eggs, but is possible the eggs were behind the octopus, often they are positioned closer to the entrance than their eggs to protect them.

On January 1, in one of the vertical cracks at Madrona Point there two medium (35-40 lbs app) octopus, one healthy in appearance and one very grey and listless, possibly a female post hatch.

I keep debating on whether or not seeing a GPO in situ belongs on my bucket list. I am half afraid I would be so excited I would drown :biggrin2:. Are they extremely easy to locate or did you just luck out in an area and timing or is this a particularly good year for the species?

Slightly better than average year, I don't think anyone is taking octopus anymore locally (the fisheries management authority here has shut down the very small scale commercial fishery), although the sea lion population has increased over the past years.

You get used to seeing them in dens, it's much more fun when you see one out in the open. We have 50-60 pounders around here. They can make things interesting, especially if you let them get a hold of your regulator or mask, or they drop your weight belt for you. If you are a diver, the local dive shop (Sink or Swim in north Nanaimo) hosts regular free divemaster supported weekend and occasional Tuesday night dives. They can also arrange a charter, and probably get up close to an octopus. I rarely do a dive and not see one around here.

Do you see them in their dens during the day? I am totally chicken to do night dives and am probably too out of shape to dive at all any more but I think about the possibilities when I see footage from recreational divers. I'm on the US East Coast (but far from the water) and do what little diving I have accomplished in FL or one of the Caribbean islands. The only two octopuses I have seen in situ have been snorkeling.

They are most often in their dens during the day, much more common to see them in the open at night.

Check out the last video I posted - from back in 2000. It was busy eating another octopus when I took it. I killed that octopus to make octopus cakes, I don't kill them anymore (they are too cool to kill really).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back