• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Macropus Care

Agent Scarn

Hatchling
Registered
NY Aquatic currently has an O. macropus (Listed as a "White Spot Long Armed Octopus") for sale, and I was wondering if there's any sort of care sheet available for them.

I am not sure this is in the Macropus complex The dark around the eyes and brown color are not normally displayed on the animals we typically see from (mostly) Live Aquaria but it is in an open well lit tank so coloration is not a good clue. Almost all (there are exceptions) Macropus are nocturnal and the ones we most often see don't acclimate to daylight. The two I have kept were very interactive ... at 3:00 AM. You might write them to see if they know where it originated. There is an Atlantic long arm (defilippi) that is common (not seen on TONMO) but I suspect A. aculeatus from coloration, horns and typical animals offered (photo is not really clear enough for a good guess).

Fortunately, most animals offered for sale are warm water species and will do well in a 55 gallon or larger tank (with additional sump). Temperature range 76-80F, skimmer (required for all but the dwarf species and this one is not dwarf), 3 month or older live tank, weekly water changes and good filtration. You may want to read through some of the journals for photos and experiences with the different species. The List of our Octopuses stickies at the top of the Journals forum note the species and contain links to the journals for the later years.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back