• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Macro algae

suboc

Cuttlefish
Registered
Does any one keep macro algae in their octopus tank? I collected a small amount from the area that Spike what captured and it looks pretty cool. was wondering there would be any problems with more plants.

We do. We keep Bladder (Giant) Kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera or Zigzag weed (Cystophora sp amongst others in our tank. Gives it a more naural feel. however you need to keep on top of cleaning as when it starts to die off it can be really nasty. Change the weed often and watch water parameters like a hawk!!!

Like everything else (and double for sw systems :wink:) monitoring is important. Macro absorbs nitrate and adds oxygen (when the lights are on but, as with plants when the lights are off they give off CO2. Many people leave lights on it 24/7 in a separate refugium or alternate lighting with the primary for the same effect). There is a point of nitrate saturation and macros need to be pruned back to keep the young healthy parts growing. Where absorption is gradual, the exhausted algae will dump its nitrates back into the water all at once and can cause a spike with the release.

I have experimented with using a sump-fuge combination and have firmly decided to keep my sumps as equipment and water volume only containers for ease of maintenance and minimizing complications but I keep wanting to do a hang on refugium but have not worked out the logistics of making one and can't spend money on the tanks this year.

I am confused as to why you would consider a CO2 reactor for a ceph tank. I have never used one so my understanding may be incomplete but I thought the primary use was to inject CO2 for plants (primary use being FW planted aquariums). Adding CO2 does not make sense to me for a high Oxygen consumption tank as eliminating the CO2 in favor of O2 has always been a goal.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back