• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Macro algae help nitrates?

Yes, macro algae can be beneficial to your tank. It needs moderate lighting.

You would want to keep macro in a refugium, or part of your sump. Somewhere isolated from your main display tank. A lot of macro algae's like caulerpa are very invasive and after they grow so much, they die off and release everything they've absorbed back into the water. I have a lot of caulerpa in my tank, and a lot of chaetomorpha in my refugium. The caulerpa has to be pruned every 2 weeks or so or it will pretty much start filling the tank. It's a pain in the butt and if I could do it all over again I would have never had any in the first place.

Animal Mother;124088 said:
Yes, macro algae can be beneficial to your tank. It needs moderate lighting.

You would want to keep macro in a refugium, or part of your sump. Somewhere isolated from your main display tank. A lot of macro algae's like caulerpa are very invasive and after they grow so much, they die off and release everything they've absorbed back into the water. I have a lot of caulerpa in my tank, and a lot of chaetomorpha in my refugium. The caulerpa has to be pruned every 2 weeks or so or it will pretty much start filling the tank. It's a pain in the butt and if I could do it all over again I would have never had any in the first place.

Here's a pic of the macro I prefer. It doesn't go to soup the way caulerpa or halimeda can and it doesn't generate the holdfasts that spread through your rockword the way those do. Grows like crazy but much easier to prune. Does well under moderate to dim light (no experience with really bright lighting) and warm temps.

Oh... and it's red! :biggrin2:

Attachments

• conv_293185.jpg
    conv_293185.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 110
Got it from the tank at work. Don't know where it originates from. I think it's commonly referred to as "dragon's breath" or something like that. Dunno, but I love it. People at my LFS say it can't be imported anymore.

AM,
Interesting store, I am going to bookmark it. If you order, check out their 1 penny sample maco that they will add to your order for a penny.

ok thanks for the replies.

i have one more question. i asked a while ago about treating my lionfish for ich. and i used ich attack and it somewhat worked. i do the GVH garlic feed and that seems to help. there bodies cleared up and so did there eyes. but this morning, one of the lionfish's eyes is fogged over. help?

scratch the above question. i have something id like to get advice on because im stressed out about it. i know this is octopus care section but just let it slide please, lol. soon i will be going to college and i have been arguing with my parents about where im going. my mom wants me to go up to northeastern but i don't want to because my fish tank and i adopted a husky a few months ago. i dont want to leave them behind, (hes like my son if you have pets you know what i mean). my dad says dont make a school decision based on pets but im going to because there apart of me. well im upset and if anyone wants to talk to me about this, i really appreciate it...

I would suggest that rather than starting with the assertion that if you go to Northeastern you must give up your pets, you start with the assertion that you'll either go to the best school you can, or go to the school you want to go to. I'm sure there is some way to have pets at Northeastern, but it might take a lot of extra work on your part (finding a way to rent a room in a house with a yard for your dog that allows pets, for example, rather than staying in school housing.)

Maybe asking the housing staff at Northeastern or other students there would have some suggestions?

i don't want to go to northeastern my mom just wants me to apply there. im looking into going to FAU since its right near me and i can stay with my dog and still take care of my tank. its just stressful to think about and its like i have to grow up now. i just don't want to think about leaving anything behind..

How far away is Northeastern from you? What are your other choices? Are you a senior this year? You should apply to Northeastern (if you haven't already) because it keeps your options open. Why does your mother want you to apply to Northeastern? Your parents are trying to help you make a decision that will affect the rest of your life. Believe me, college is not really a place where you have to be a grown up...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back