LPSO article by Nat Geo

So far the only successful food I have found in the literature for VERY LIMITED success has been crab zoea. The shrimp hatchlings may be too fast for octopus hatchlings (I did keep a breeding pair of peppermint shrimp in with the O. briareus hatchlings but don't know if they were eaten). I have an adult female blue crab in my sump as we speak. I was hoping for a male/female pair but they (daughter-in-law's family) ate the only male caught the day before and only caught females when fishing for my request. Monster is doing well so maybe I will still get a male and maybe she will mate and maybe there will be hatchlings and maybe I will catch them before they die and be able to freeze them ... maybe :roll:

So to fast and hatchlings cant catch them. Makes perfect sense. I was wondering about common bait shrimp "always have eggs" Has anyone tried these? Or are they to fast 2. If they are what about keeping them in a different system and cooling the baby shrimp Or "zoea" Not sure if they are called that and dont want to look it up right now. Anyway if we took baby shrimp and cooled there water. Would that not slow them down for a wile so hatchlings could catch them? There are so many foods out in the wild that sticking to just mysis and pods seems like we are missing something. Then again I am no marine biologist. Though I am singed up for a couple classes at USF this fall for marine bio. God 44 and going back to collage. Sometimes I think I am going just to embarrass my daughter. She is a full time student there.

LOL, my mother went back to school with me while I was getting my masters and the only oddity was that I felt I needed to called her by her first name instead of "Mom". The cool thing about going back is that you can take the course you WANT and not the ones you HAVE TO (IF you can get the classes that is since alumni get last choice).

Food for hatchlings is a difficult determination and I am not sure (but suspect based upon other observations) speed is the issue. There have been a few successes with larger egg species of cuttles and octopuses using different pods and small critters that populated the brood tanks but no formula developed for obtaining the specific animals or maintaining food populations in enough quantity to feed hatchlings. For the species we have been able to raise, it is not that alternate foods won't work but more what is easily accessible in quantity. For the small egg species, there is no success to speak of with anything but crab hatchlings have been the one offering that showed slight viability. There is much interest in finding a way to raise O. vulgaris as a food item (primarily in Europe) but so far the key remains elusive.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back