Lowering Nitrite

Armstrong

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#1
My nitrite levels are close to zero but I want to keep it at zero. It rised as a result of a mussel that got dropped in the tank and it obviously caused it to rise. I did a 30% water change a few days ago, but it didn't seem to help much. Would a 90% or 100% water change lower it completely or would it be embedded within the tank such as sand and gravel in the tank?
 

William Tyson

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#2
never do more then a 40% water change or you will risk re-cycleing your tank. do your water changes, make sure that uneaten food is removed from the tank, and a macro-algea of some kind may help in the nutirent export
 

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
#3
I believe you can use nitrite absorbtion stuff from the LFS. IF it is going down, the octo is fine, AND it isn't too high you could let the filter handle it and it would increase the capacity of it some-in case it happens again.
 

Armstrong

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#4
Illithid;77296 said:
I believe you can use nitrite absorbtion stuff from the LFS. IF it is going down, the octo is fine, AND it isn't too high you could let the filter handle it and it would increase the capacity of it some-in case it happens again.
Well it went down from the level that it was when it did spike, but its been staying at the lowered level for a few days without going down further and im just a little concerned. Im sure if I do a bigger water change, it'll be more effective. If not, i'll try using the nitrite absorbing products...however, I read on the internet that their really isn't a such thing as nitrite removers or absorbers and the ones that exist are in-effective according to aquarium keepers. But i'll try it out anyway. I plan to do a 50% water change tomarrow.

EDIT: Just want to add that I found 2 products I could try and use. 1 is AmQuel Plus which clears out chlorines, toxins, ammonia and nitrites per table spoon and the other is Prime which does the same. Has anyone ever used any of these with good results?

Nitrite so far is all I need to treat. Otherwise the rest of my water quality is perfect: pH - 8.1, Alkalinity - 300, Nitrate - 0 ppm, Salinity - 1.026, Temp. - 72 F.
 

monty

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Supporter
#5
Armstrong;77297 said:
EDIT: Just want to add that I found 2 products I could try and use. 1 is AmQuel Plus which clears out chlorines, toxins, ammonia and nitrites per table spoon and the other is Prime which does the same. Has anyone ever used any of these with good results?
I remember a recent post where someone, I think DHyslop, mentioned that there were some products which were misleading in their claimed benefits, and should be avoided; you may want to hold off on using them until the experts chime in... unfortunately, I don't remember enough to search for the thread...
 

Armstrong

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
#6
Ok, I now have the octopus...which Iv already posted in the octopus care section, but the nitrite is starting to go down because I bought a product and did a water change. Its going down...but its not 0 yet, so is it still safe? Based on water test kit I have, the nitrite would be considered stress...but the lowest stress. It's not toxic or high at all.
 

Members online