• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Lowboy Tank?

Charlo

Hatchling
Registered
Hi there,

As I am doing research, I have been seeing people say that length and width of the tank is more important than height... so does that mean a Lowboy Reef Tank would be ideal for an octo?? I found an 80 gallon Lowboy reef tank (48x24x16) and wonder if that would be a good a choice. I have seen videos of a A. Aculeatusis climbing up and down the sides of the tank, and know some octos (like the O. Mercatoris) like to be in barnacles or other dens about 1/3 up the tanks, so I am thinking they still do like some height to it. Thoughts?

16" is shallower than I would recommend for a medium sized octopus (18" is as shallow as I would recommend, taller if you can but leave the top 1.5 - 2" unfilled to discourage climbing). O. mercatoris is a dwarf so it would be fine in a 16" tank but something around 15 gallons is all you need (a lot larger, like the 80 gallon you are looking at, would almost guarantee never seeing the animal).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back