love this site

dude;101978 said:
am going to get one

At this point it's not going to do you any good to get another tank. You'll just have to wait another 3 months for it to properly cycle, and by then, your Vulgaris will probably be dead. The smart thing to do would be to return it to the store, get your money back, and wait until you have a tank set up and properly cycled. Then you can buy one without worrying about the animal dying, or wasting however much money you spent on it.

This is why it's very important that people do their research BEFORE buying these animals.

Animal Mother is right, a 22 gallon tank is far too small for any cephalopod. It's actually pretty rare to find a vulgaris in a pet store, usually they just label any octopus that way because they don't know how to ID octos. There are going to be more immediate problems, though: if the tank has only been running for 4 days, it's pretty much guaranteed to get to toxic levels during the cycling process, even for the smallest dwarf species, and even a fully cycled 22 gallon tank would probably be unable to handle the waste produced even by a dwarf. If it is a dwarf, it's not automatic death, but it's still playing Russian roulette with your octo's life, and you'd have to do water changes very often, which will probably stop your tank from ever cycling properly.

How big is your "vulgaris?" Is the mantle (the round part of the body) the size of a ping pong ball or a softball?

What sort of filtration do you have on your 22 gallon tank? Do you have a protein skimmer?

How are you making salt water?

Have you tested your water for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia?

We would like to help you, but we need some more information.

I'm with Greg. Dude, maybe you should get some practice killing some clownfish, damsels--maybe a moorish idol or a few bengaii cardinals--before you try killing an octopus.

Wow, I was being very reserved... wanted to say something along these lines.

I'm pretty sure Dude is very young, so I was trying not be harsh. Then again, I'm starting to think maybe Dude is just a troll.

Folks,

I think this is a good thread. This can go downhill from here and so I am hoping it will naturally peter out. But if it doesn't, I'll take some action (i.e., lock it). I'm very proud of this community for holding new members accountable for their actions with cephs. If anyone wants to keep a ceph, they need to be prepared to listen to the collective voice of the community when it is observed that they are putting the ceph they care for in harm's way. If you're going to keep a ceph, you need to be accountable and responsible for your actions. If you can't answer the tough questions posted here, and/or you are not willing to learn / react / adjust appropriately in the interests of the ceph's health, then this probably isn't the right forum for you.

We don't demand that everyone who posts here are "experts" -- on the contrary we are here to help. But if you are going to keep a ceph, I would suggest you need to be willing to listen, learn, adjust and yield to the more senior members and staff of this forum (of which there are many).

Disclaimer: I am not a ceph-keeping expert, I just run the site!

I have a skimmer that is capable of handling 100gal tank, 50gal filter, and I am not a troll, just want to learn and solicit ways to take care of an octopus. My water is ok., just got it tested. I have 10lbs of live rock in a 20 gal tank. thank you in advance for any comments.

dude;102047 said:
I have a skimmer that is capable of handling 100gal tank, 50gal filter, and I am not a troll, just want to learn and solicit ways to take care of an octopus. My water is ok., just got it tested. I have 10lbs of live rock in a 20 gal tank. thank you in advance for any comments.

You should have 1 lb. of live rock for every gallon, so if you have a 22 gallon tank, you should have 22 pounds of live rock. You should invest in a test kit for yourself, so that you can test the water daily.

How big is your octopus? What is it eating?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back