love this site

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dude, Sep 21, 2007.

1. dude

dude Banned Banned

am new here and I have 1 vulgris octopus and I live CA. I have had my octo for to weeks and I want a baby I have no tank for It but am going to get one soon I have my rock cycled now . so go easy on me because I don't no much but the basics taking care of an octo. so please give me tips on baby care:notworth::banghead::tomato::sink:

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Hi, glad you have found a good source of information. How long have you owned a Vulgaris? What size tank? What kind of filtration? Where did you buy it? Enquiring minds want to know :)

Much of the same information you will find in the Ceph Care articles as well as the forums applies to babies as well, you will just need to provide much smaller live food for them; hermits, snails, mysis shrimp, etc. And being smaller, they will be more capable of escaping through even the most seemingly unlikely of spots, so make sure there's nowhere for them to get sucked into a pump.

If you own a Vulgaris, you should be aware that feeding an octopus is expensive, especially more so when they won't accept thawed raw foods like shrimp and silversides, and the larger they grow, the larger their appetite is going to be. If you live near the beach in California, feeding them will probably not be that big of an issue.

For now though, you should read all of the articles on this website, even the ones pertaining to Cuttlefish husbandry, as the more knowlegde you take in now, the better off you will be when you come across changes in behavior, husbandry do's and don'ts, and everything else involved with this particular hobby. Both you and your pet will be better off!

Also, if you don't have a tank set up for another octopus yet, you should focus on your Vulgaris while you get the other tank put together and cycling. You need to wait AT LEAST 3 months for the tank to fully cycle before buying an octopus for it. Many people aren't patient enough to wait out this long, and most of the time it ends with the octopus' premature death.

3. Animal Mother

Um... huh?

4. dude

dude Banned Banned

sorry Is thair a way shortin a cycle

5. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

How long have you had your tank up and running?

6. dude

dude Banned Banned

I don't have one. I am getting one to night. the rock is cycled

7. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Dude, it's not enough to have the rock cycled - you need to have your tank up and running and cycled, which takes at least 3 months, before adding an octopus.

Nancy

8. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Where are you keeping your octopus right now?

9. Animal Mother

Yes, you said you have a Vulgaris. How large is the tank that octopus is in? It is going to need a tank larger than 100 gallons for the long-term.

There is no shortcut to cycling a tank. Wait at least 3 months.

1 pound of rock per gallon of water in the tank. At least a 50 gallon tank.. read the articles here... http://www.tonmo.com/index.php?page=cepharticles

Judging by your posts, you seem young. Can I ask how old you are?

10. dude

dude Banned Banned

yes but the tank cycled only for 4 days and the tank is a 20g I was planing to move him

11. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Do you have an octopus in that tank, or are you saying you're planning to get one?

Nancy

12. dude

dude Banned Banned

planing to one his in a 22g now

13. Animal Mother

Well, that's not good at all.

You have two options.

1) Return it to whatever store it was purchased from before the ammonia in the tank kills it.

2) Check the water parameters daily, perhaps even twice daily, do water changes as needed (which will be very often) and pray the octopus doesn't die a slow, horrible death. This is not the ideal situation at all. It is torture.

I am thinking you are pretty young.

Think of a tank as being kind of like a bathroom. You need good plumbing to flush the toilet. (Kinda like a properly cycled tank has enough bacteria) If you don't have a toilet installed, everytime you use the bathroom it gets nastier and nastier, until it builds up so much, you are swimming in it. Eventually these conditions will make you VERY sick. Your octopus is going through this right now, because the bacteria in the tank is not enough to "flush" the waste out of the system.

Please do what's best for the octopus and return it to the store. Keeping it is selfish.

14. dude

dude Banned Banned

:banghead:he seems fine now and he has bin there for two weeks and I have done two water changes but the day I got him the tank was cycled for 4 day and he seemed fine

15. Animal Mother

If he is a Vulgaris he is going to outgrow that 22g fast. Vulgaris need a tank of at least 120 gallons. Keeping him in a 22 gallon is like keeping a horse in a closet.

16. dude

dude Banned Banned

am going to get one

17. Animal Mother

At this point it's not going to do you any good to get another tank. You'll just have to wait another 3 months for it to properly cycle, and by then, your Vulgaris will probably be dead. The smart thing to do would be to return it to the store, get your money back, and wait until you have a tank set up and properly cycled. Then you can buy one without worrying about the animal dying, or wasting however much money you spent on it.

This is why it's very important that people do their research BEFORE buying these animals.

18. dude

dude Banned Banned

thank you for your help I will get tank :notworth:

19. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Animal Mother is right, a 22 gallon tank is far too small for any cephalopod. It's actually pretty rare to find a vulgaris in a pet store, usually they just label any octopus that way because they don't know how to ID octos. There are going to be more immediate problems, though: if the tank has only been running for 4 days, it's pretty much guaranteed to get to toxic levels during the cycling process, even for the smallest dwarf species, and even a fully cycled 22 gallon tank would probably be unable to handle the waste produced even by a dwarf. If it is a dwarf, it's not automatic death, but it's still playing Russian roulette with your octo's life, and you'd have to do water changes very often, which will probably stop your tank from ever cycling properly.

20. Animal Mother

Don't thank me for help, take the octopus back to the store, and tell the octopus "Dale says, you're welcome."

I am going to cry.