• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Lots of octopus at Madrona Point, July 26 2014

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I didn't see eggs but they all looked like they were brooding. Are they typically grayish white and flaccid in the wild even well before it is time to brood?

Tom Hlavac

O. vulgaris
Registered
There was the one very grey one who I suspect may have been brooding. The one I placed the camera very close to changed color from the typical red-white to grey as I got too close. It started blowing through the siphon to try and shift the camera away. They do that to pesky fish often.

Most were feeding, lots of crab.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I double checked that animal to see if it was eggs or skin moving with the siphon and saw that it was skin.

The smaller versions in my tanks (once accustomed to humans) will "blow me off" if the food slave offers a poor choice du jour or siphons too close to the den.

Members online