Lost World Returns project (computer reconstructions) - need your help!

Avimimus

Hatchling
Registered
Hello,

Our website: http://lostworldreturns.co.uk/forum/
A quick primer: http://web.ncf.ca/ee555/LWR/LWRprimer.pdf

To accompany our terrestrial faunas we will want to reconstruct typical belemnites and ammonites. These will consist of both detailed shells on the beaches, as well as active living specimens. Our main focus will be on typical shallow water species (although a few pelagic forms are possible as well).

Current plans call for a North American Aptian-Albian fauna. It is not unlikely that a Late Cretaceous fauna (perhaps southern hemisphere or Asian) and a Late Jurassic fauna will be modeled if we are successful with our current plans. In anycase our goal is to reconstruct only forms that could have met (ie. within 10my and and a few hundred kilometres). So help with faunas is welcome as well.

We are also very interested in any help recreating a correct vertebrate component.

Thank you (Cephalopods rule!),

- Avimimus

:welcome: to TONMO!

I wish we could say for certain what any ancient cephs looked like... unfortunately, we have no idea :sad: But there are a lot of folks around who can help with educated guesses...

How contentious are you prepared to be? We could have some serious fun here!!

Hello,

We need advice about what marine species to model, what type of reconstruction should be used, some feedback on and steering of the reconstruction and advice as to where we can get references.

Right now were looking for more or less the 110-115mya horizon (+-15mya if necessary) faunas in the rough vicinity of North America. So, in terms of marine life, what species are appropriate?

I was thinking ammonites:
- A likely shallow water bottom feeding (and possibly a second coastal species in the water column)
- A pelagic filter feeder (presumably brought into the shallows by a storm)
- Higher detailed shell models to be used on our virtual reality beaches
- Plus one or two Belemnites and their likely habits and soft tissue reconstructions would also be useful.

We can also do with:
- Advice on paleoecology, teleost fishes, marine reptiles etc. is also very welcome (albeit some marine reptiles have what appear to be disturbingly complex possibilities for locomotory strategies) :banghead:
- Anything else you think we should consider modeling (including species of scientific interest from other eras)

I should also say at this point that it is up to the modelers themselves what will get modeled (as we are doing this for free) and I can't guarantee that all the information will be used.

Architeuthoceras;118092 said:

Architeuthoceras, thank you. We currently have a species list for the Dinosaurs and some references (although these links will still be useful). What we need now are things like exact widths for the pelvises and a good understanding of how they would have moved in different situations, etc. :banghead:

Of course, we're always looking for advice.

Steve O'Shea;118071 said:
How contentious are you prepared to be? We could have some serious fun here!!

If your asking about taking "justifiable risks" in the reconstruction or using one interpretation over another - we're game.

If your asking about accuracy: I'm willing to go as far into the sediments as is necessary to get the correct information. If it means looking up the correct diameter/segment ratio and suture structure, than thats what it means. The only restraint is the amount of time available :goofysca: and understanding achievable :bonk:. Which is why I'm here for advice.

Having the right time frame is more important than having the correct geographical ranges (the assumption being that there may have been non-preservational areas where species met but that few species travel through time unchanged by selection).

In anycase, fun! :read:

S!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back