• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Lost 1 of 10 cuttles! HELP

Even after the cuttle has died, its skin will still change color. This is something Ive noticed. The color will change when you remove it from the water.

A while back, I had a couple cuttles die after I did some major changes on my tank and I think I started a mini cycle. There were very slight traces of ammonia. But it was so slight that I was not able to be certain even with salifert tests. Under certain lights the test looked as if it read 0. Under other lights it showed a slight reading. Anyways, the cuttles would eventually be white at all times. When it gets close to thier end, you can kinda see the bone through the body as if the skin is becoming transparent.

I rehauled my tank...added a sump, big ole skimmer, took most the sand substrate out..waited a month and a half and reintroduced cuttles. I havent lost any yet due to water related issue. My deaths have been due to a freak powerhead accident, a murderous cuttle, and one jumping out of the tank. (Yes, that suprised me too).

I would definetly get a copper test and get the most accurate ammonia test you can get which is probably a salifert.

You did not need to remove the outer skin of the eggs. They should hatch on thier own. Thier only requirement other then good water quality is a slight current on them. Just enough to not make them fly around.

Im sorry you have to go through this. Ive experienced emotions of both extremes with my cuttles. Complete excitement to utter frustration.

Good luck!

My last 2 cuttles seem fine, but so did the others until they died. I will look for a copper test, but I think I will have to go to Gainesville where I got the cuttles to get one. I have nowhere to put the cuttles in the mean time.

I will wait to setup my big tank before I get anything else, even with a copper test.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Don't know. Could be stressed eggs, could be 'fate'. Could be water. IMO we just don't know enough. It has happened to me as well.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, and sorry that I haven't replied sooner - life here is a little crazy right now.

z

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back