• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Looking to Buy a Pygmy Octo

So, I am in the market for a pygmy octopus and I have a few questions:

Where can I buy one?
What species should I get? (joubini, merc, etc)
What kind of food should I get for it?

I already have a tank prepared for it, with nothing in there that might eat it/freak it out, an octopus-proof lid, and plenty of hiding places for it so it doesn't get stressed out. I have an expert-level marine wildlife caretaker helping me out with this too (since I am still kind of green to the whole thing.)

Finding something other than a merc is rarely seen on TONMO. Mercs are the most common and abundant in the Caribbean but Sedna likely has a bocki from the Philippines. The mercs are commonly found in the farmed live rock so you will sometimes see postings for multiples from live rock farmers. The joubini (you will see mercs listed as joubini often) are supposed be common to the Southeast but we don't see them on TONMO and I believe the live in deeper water, making them very hard to come by.

There are several mercatoris threat in the Journals you may want to read to see if this is the octopus you want to keep.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back