Looking forward to joining you Ceph owners

Zach S.

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hello, My name is Zach and I live in New York. Currently I am looking for a young ceph to add to my collection. I have been keeping saltwater fish for around 5 years now and would like to take the plunge and get into keeping an octopus. If anyone has any for sale, or knows when some will become available please feel free to contact me. I do not see any for sale where I live, and would rather buy from a hobbyist, not that the online retailers have any for sale anyways... I look forward to viewing everyones posts and tricks (beyond what is already posted,) on enriching ways to care for and own an octopus as a pet.

Thank you!

:cuttlehi: @Zach S.
Our whole stickied section on Octopus Care should be of interest but to start your voyage, I recommend reading all the entries linked in the Posts with info for New Octo Keepers to get a feel for the challenges of species and acquisition.

Individuals will rarely have an octopus to share/sell. It does happen but only on very rare occasions, the last time was several years ago when a bimac laid viable eggs in a lab environment. Cuttlefish from hobbyists are only slightly more common when someone successfully hatches more eggs than will work in their environment. A local NY supplier will like have species imported from the Philippines. Florida on-line suppliers may have local or imported species.

:cuttlehi: @Zach S.
Our whole stickied section on Octopus Care should be of interest but to start your voyage, I recommend reading all the entries linked in the Posts with info for New Octo Keepers to get a feel for the challenges of species and acquisition.

Individuals will rarely have an octopus to share/sell. It does happen but only on very rare occasions, the last time was several years ago when a bimac laid viable eggs in a lab environment. Cuttlefish from hobbyists are only slightly more common when someone successfully hatches more eggs than will work in their environment. A local NY supplier will like have species imported from the Philippines. Florida on-line suppliers may have local or imported species.

Thanks, I went through a lot of the basic stuff you guys have for new ceph and new octopus owners. I also read the cuttlefish beginners postings, and decided a small octopus would probably be better for me. I will look online, as local stores do not offer many options if any on saltwater fish (most come in bad condition) I live in a small town in NY nowhere near the big city. I'll read through all I can in the near future, it is a shame there are no YouTube videos on keeping and basic care.

Welcome! Videos are indeed great, but consider this an opportunity to sharpen your reading skills :biggrin2: We have a lot of essential info here - also be sure to use our site Search!

:read:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back