Looking for some specific pictures.....

Phil1078

Blue Ring
Registered
Hello,

As I make my way through this delightful book, I am curious about some things that are not pictured. First, could anyone provide a picture of a Nautilus out of its shell? Furthermore, does anyone have a live (or at least not preserved) picture of Spirula spirula? All the pictures I have seen are of a dead and preserved organism. Also, although I haven't gotten to this point in the book, but a male argonaut would be nice to see.

I hope this is an appropriate forum for this topic. Let me know if it would go better somewhere else.

Cheers

Ah, thanks captfish. Very interesting little animal. Are those bubble looking things on the mantle the photophores I read about?

Hi Phil,

If you search the Tonmo archives for a thread called 'Nautilus necropsy', I posted a picture of animal out if its shell and a progressive series of the dissection.

PPS: That's Steve's "other" Avatar, his TONMO avatar is obviously an Architeuthis dux paralarva

n636256839_6047.jpg

(could also be male Tremoctopus, come to think of it...)

Tiz a male Ocythoe tuberculata Olaf :smile: (a negative image of it also)

Tony, you know the deal re use of that image of Spirula - please just go ahead and do what we always do. I'm out of the country for a few weeks in several days and don't think I'll have network where we're going. How peaceful that will be - just me, a net, a bottle of rough red (better make that several cases - I hear you live longer), warm water, and the occasional breaching whale and flying squid. :smile:

Ah, thanks Steve and Ob. I am assuming this curious creature is the male argonaut.

I made it to the Myopsina portion of the book. I am full of ideas and questions so be prepared, whenever I have to time to make more lengthy posts.

Thanks again for the pictures everyone!

Robyn, I am coming up empty on searching through the forum for the Nautilus thread. I am not sure if I am looking in the wrong place or not. I am just using the search function towards the top right of the page.

Phil1078;162655 said:
Ah, thanks Steve and Ob. I am assuming this curious creature is the male argonaut.

Nopes, as quoted, this here be Ocythoe tuberculata :grad:

It bares some resemblance to a juvenile female Argonaut

Kuiter_nodosus_web.jpg

The male argonaut looks something like this, preserved....

Finn_nodosus_male.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back