• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Looking for Octo species recommendation

Tigé21v

Hatchling
Registered
Looking for suggestions, looking for a small (30 gallon) diurnal species, hopefully one which like to stay in the tank. Had a briareus from the LFS in the past. Golf ball sized mantle when I purchased him, and they said he was full grown. Yeah right!!

Tigé21v;143338 said:
Looking for suggestions, looking for a small (30 gallon) diurnal species, hopefully one which like to stay in the tank. Had a briareus from the LFS in the past. Golf ball sized mantle when I purchased him, and they said he was full grown. Yeah right!!

I guess you didn't find us soon enough :mrgreen:

Unfortunately there is only one common dwarf species that is typically found and it is the nocturnal mercatoris. Unlike some of the crepuscular animals like O. briareus it is almost impossible to train them to come out in any form of lighting and a red light is necessary for viewing and limited interaction. I was very fond of mine and had one exceptional animal but their appeal is limited to those of us who are up late :wink:. If you would like to learn more about them look for journals on Trapper (DWhatley) and her offspring and Varys and her offspring (GHolland).

From the Pacific there is O. digueti. Known to be a bit fiesty but we haven't seen any since I have been a member.

There is one Indonesian animal, Abdopus abaculus that would likely fit a 30 and occassionally shows up in the trade but there is no way to order or even know you have one except that it looks like an aculeatus but never gets bigger.

From Panama, there is O. chierchiae that is more likely to be seen than the mercatoris and could be the ideal small tank animal. Availability is the problem and we have only seen a few here. Roy and Thales attempted a breeding project but the gene pool was too limited at the time of the attempt.

If you would consider stepping up to a 55 then O. hummelincki, O. bimaculoides, O. rubescens and A. aculeatus are all smaller octos. Hummelincki is Caribbean and my choice when available. Bimac and rubescens are Pacific and usually require (for sure with rubescens) a chiller. Aculeatus is imported from Indonesia and is often full grown when it arrives but is a very interactive animal. This is the species that might be exciting if you find a small one only to discover it is a full grown abaculus.

Many of the journal titles are marked with the species so your might crews them if one I mention interests you.

LFS got one in for me, and says it is a hummelincki. Hope he is right! I'm picking him up tomorrow, will post some pics as soon as I get some good shots for "true" ID. :wink:
Is hummelincki a diurnal species? I really hope so.
Oh, and BTW, also picking up an Oceanic 58 gallon tomorrow. Future home for the guy. Hope he is a juvie!

I've had a Wunderpus now for about 2 months and shes doing great. Eats well and is very active, doesn't even harm the feeder fish and crabs i have in the tank. shes never even tried to escape and has been a great addition to the tank. I only have a 30 gallon tank too. anyway good luck on your search.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back