• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Looking for info on diff species & sizes

cr3w66

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi all,

I'm new here, but have been lurking for a few weeks now digesting all the information on octos.
I'm just now setting up and getting started with a new tank and beginning the cycling process - so I have some time yet, but I eventually want to add an octopus. Can anyone give me a brief explanation on different species available and their approx. sizes as adults and juveniles? I've googled many different species, but I seem to be getting them all confused with each other - guess I should be more organized, huh? I will have a 20 g tank - which, I know some will say is too small.... those comments and suggestions are welcome anyway tho:smile:
Also, I live outside of Houston - does anyone know of any (good) places that have live octopus for sale?
Thanks in advance for any info!

-Chris

Well, with a 20g, the onloy species you will be able to keep is a Dwarf. I would lok at the Octo availibilty thread and see where you can get one.

...next question

okay, here's my next question........
I've been contemplating a 30 g tank with an eclipse 2 top filtration system. Does anyone have any experience with these? Will they (along with a few other gadgets) suite the needs of an octopus?

cr3w66;78676 said:
okay, here's my next question........
I've been contemplating a 30 g tank with an eclipse 2 top filtration system. Does anyone have any experience with these? Will they (along with a few other gadgets) suite the needs of an octopus?

Depends what species. Read the "ceph care" section of this website and most of your questions will be answered. You obviously want to know which species are available for Octo-keeping and what sizes preffur which tank size right?

For your tank sizes...20 gallon or 30 gallon, a Dwarf Octopus is only appropriate. You can get them because their one of the species list for keeping, but not as common. They grow to about 3 inch. approx. but their's also Pygmy Octopus which is another type of Dwarf Octopus that lives in the Atlantic. If your looking for Octopuses that grow medium-large...you would need a minimum of 50 gallons which is the least size. The most common kept Octopus in a home aquarium is Octopus Bimaculoides...which lives on the coasts of California, but have lately been scarce to get. They grow to about 18-24 inches across. However, Octopus Vulgaris which is located worldwide and common throughout can grow to 2.5 to 3 ft across and needs at least a 110+ gallon tank. Octopus Braierus which is now in stock a lot is usually located around Florida and in tropical areas. They also grow to 24 inches and need a 50 gallon tank at the least.

Octopus species listed above are the ones currently MOST available for buyers to get...but some are more frequent than others. Dwarf's are the most difficult out of those, while Briareus is now the most common. Bimaculoides used was all over last year and before...and is now getting in stock gradually. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back