• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Looking for eggs or young cuttles

idahocuttle

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hey guys im looking for a source to replace my pfefferi, i knew the day was coming and should of looked into it but here i am late...so if any of you have any ideas id appriciate it. Also im looking for the same in the Officinalis eggs or young would be ideal!

Officinalis can be hard to find most people don't have a monster aquarium to support them. In the US we mostly see Bandensis, dwarf cuttles.

I cant comment on the Flamboyants because I'm not sure of our policy on keeping them. We dont support the keeping of bluering octopus because of the danger and I think Flamboyants are in the same category of dangerous. I'm checking with my fellow staff members so one of us will post about them later.

Following along with interest because I'm having a hard time finding cuttlefish eggs, even the bandensis. I had six on order from NY Aquatics but he was away from his store for four days last week - when he returned some of the eggs had deflated and a couple had hatched. I wrote to the store in Texas that advertises them asking what the lead time would be but I haven't heard back - probably not a good sign.

Saltwaterfish.com doesn't have access to them and I'm on a waitlist from another online store that had advertised an octopus but I'm not feeling optimistic. Have the sources pretty much dried up? :frown: I have a tank all set-up and ready for eggs and a live mysis source lined up but I'm missing the main component - the cuttlefish eggs!
Sue

Sue

Metasepia are incredibly difficult to find and not recommended for various reasons.

S. bandensis eggs are 'seasonal' - we tend to see two times a year that they are available, around spring and around halloween. Its seems that right now we are between 'seasons' though some importers seem to still have them on their lists.

Are you near House of Fins or Greenwich Aquaria? Either on should be able to check and order them for you.

S. officinalis are just not available in the US.

Wow - I had no idea there were any local fish stores in CT that could order them for me! I asked the three stores that I frequent and they all said they could get me octopus but not cuttlefish eggs. I am so excited - I'm off to contact both of those stores! Neither one is "close" to me but since CT isn't very big the furthest I would have to drive is 1.5 hours each way. A 3-hour road trip is WELL worth it if they can get me some eggs!! Thank you!
Sue

Unfortunately we don't support them for the same reasons we don't support keeping wunderpus and mimic octopus, their population numbers are unknown but thought to be low. Basically they could be endangered but because no one has done the research we just dont know. So to be safe we dont support keeping animals that have questionable population numbers.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back