• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Looking for Astroturf Photos

Could somebody be so kind to post or email me photos of your canopy set up with astroturf.

I am setting up an octo (bimac) tank for a friends sushi bar and would like to see some recommendations. Is it okay to just cover the wooden canopy or should I also cover the plastic trim all the way down to the water level? Do you use plastic zip ties to secure to the trim if necessary?

Thanks for your help. I am a rookie at octos but have been reef keeping for seventeen years.

Don't have any pics of my old setups, bummer...do you have a pic of the system setup you will be using? That way, we could brainstorm and figure out which way would work the best...should be fairly easy !
greg

Thanks for your reply Greg. I haven't picked up the tank yet, still being made. But it'll be 48x18x30, roughly 110 gallons, glass. So it will also have a center brace.

I'll be adding probably 60-80 pounds of live rock, use a Eheim Pro II canister filter and a LifeReef HSV24 hang on the back protein skimmer. Lighting is 4x65 10K/Actinic with a canopy.

The tank is going to be built in a dividing wall between a liqour bar and a sushi bar viewable from two sides.

-Robert

If the tank is still being built, you might want to consider drilling both the output and the inlet into the bottom...that way, you can have your filter, sump, and skimmer all out of sight, and the tank will be way easy to octo proof !
I've always used the threaded (grey) bulkheads, as the octos have a tendecy to pull out the slip joint up-spouts !!!
Sounds like a great place...do we get a discount? :biggrin2:
greg

Unfortunately there is no room to put in a sump below. The contractor (this is a remodel) has built me a side cabinet to hide the canister filter and the skimmer, so I will still have to have the intake/return lines, a Mag 9.5 and possibly a heater.

Here is his website: www.hirotahoe.com

Of course, free sushi to anyone who comes to Tahoe. Please bring good advice and feeder clams though!

Re: Looking for Astroturf Photos

sierrasaltwatersystems said:
Could somebody be so kind to post or email me photos of your canopy set up with astroturf.

I am setting up an octo (bimac) tank for a friends sushi bar and would like to see some recommendations. Is it okay to just cover the wooden canopy or should I also cover the plastic trim all the way down to the water level? Do you use plastic zip ties to secure to the trim if necessary?

Thanks for your help. I am a rookie at octos but have been reef keeping for seventeen years.

:welcome: Sierrasaltwatersystems!

My inclination would be to cover as much as you can....so yes the canopy and down to the water line if you can manage it! Many octis will reach over the astroturf and haul themselves out and go exploring....ours did. So we got rid of the astroturf and went for perspex to completely seal the tank. Sorry I have no pics of that set up. We used marine adhesive and glued the astroturf to the tank. I guess you could used plastic zip ties. But I'd watch the octi with them, a) they might damage it's skin and b) the octi might bite through them!

Cheers

J

Replied to your PM mate and didnt realise you'd posted this. :biggrin2:

Well youve answered some of my questions already above. :thumbsup:

Get the photos and answer on here and we can float my ideas (it'll help me aswell!!) just to see others thoughts on em.

Also since its goin in a wall, do you have pictures of the wall and poss an opening its goin to sit. Have you broken this out yet, if you have I assume theres already a lintel in there or props?? Whats the structure of the partition wall??

How does the top of the tank relate to the top of the opening. As when we were reffering to gas exchange, if this is to be provided in the sealing, how do you intend to get it in there as I presume the top of tank sits flush with the wall??

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back