• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Looking For an octopus

Octozooka1

Hatchling
Registered
Im new to the forum.I signed up mainly because I love cephlapods,I am interested in buying an octopus.I dont have a tank set up yet,but did do my reasearch.And I plan on getting a 75g since it is big enough and roomy for most species.Three species I've chosen to be canidates for this tank:a common,bimac,and caribbean reef octopus.And I've did a little looking and found some good sites to buy from:Aquacon,Tampabaysaltwater,Foxysaltwater tropics,and Finaddict.com.Please respond back on what you guys think about these sites and how they are if you've ordered from them before.Thanks

Unfortunately, at least two of the sites are iffy. Aquacon because of reputation and Tampabaysaltwater because they have not had O. vulgaris for several years (when available they are usually hitchhikers on their live rock. They do sometimes have O. mercatoris, the Caribbean dwarf - good company). I am not familiar with Foxy or Finaddict but neither have been sources in the past. The later three are worth checking out and mentioning if they actually have stock.

If you look through the List of Our Octopuses (top of Cephalopod Journals) you will see the source for the animals we have journaled (when source was given).

This is the best time of the year to find O. briareus as a young animal and may coordinate well with when you will be ready for an animal. O. briareus is the easiest to find and warm water. O. vugaris is rare to be available (almost never IDed correctly) and O. bimaculoides almost not at all because of restrictions along the California coast (it would also need a chiller). Another animal you should add to your list is O. hummelincki, a bimac lookalike (sort of) that is a warm water Caribbean. There is a longish species/availability write up in the recommended post list below.

Good choice on tank size. Make sure you include an adequately sized sump for your hardware and that you look for a reef ready (ie drilled with overflow) tank.

There is a list of posts with extended discussions in the Octopus Care section entitled Posts with Info for New Octo Keepers that I recommend every new keeper give some time. It includes topics for tanks, feeding and tankmates.

What type of rep does aquacon have,they look ok.I'm not keen on buying a dwarf species from Tampa.I like my cephlapods to grow to a large size mainly because I want to enjoy them better and last longer than dwarf species.Though Carib reefs are fine,not as big as the vulgaris I wanted but still a good sized size I like.Though I might look into dwarf species if nothing else.What other sites do you recommend.I saw an

other site called Coldwateraquatics and they had a East Pacific red octo,although not in stock I could get one if all else.I already plan on getting a chiller to keep the water from getting too hot and affecting the animal(I learned this the hard way with earlier tanks I've had).(I accidentally pressed post so this is just an extention to the other post).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back