Looking for alternative sources of food for a Bimac

howwonderful

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My current source of Fiddlers (Gulf Coast Specimen) is saying they can't fiddlers for another month. Does anyone know of another good place to buy them from?
Alternatively, what is something else I could feed my bimac in a pinch? I've heard the general snails/clams/hermit crabs/etc but no one every gives details about species or where to buy them.
Thanks!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Frozen raw shrimp, thawed and cut in pieces is one of the staples. Live shrimp is goood, but your bimac will have to learn how to capture them. Crawfish (claws removed) can be fed from time to time. I tried mussels, which have to be opened, but do this seldom since they can dirty the tank. I never had much luck with fish even though bimacs are supposed to eat fish occasionally. And a piece of freshly killed lobster did not tempt her, either.
I think she was holding out for shrimp and crabs!
How old is your bimac?

Nancy

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Paul Sachs has always been a reliable source for fiddlers as well as mysid and shore shrimp.

howwonderful

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Frozen raw shrimp, thawed and cut in pieces is one of the staples. Live shrimp is goood, but your bimac will have to learn how to capture them. Crawfish (claws removed) can be fed from time to time. I tried mussels, which have to be opened, but do this seldom since they can dirty the tank. I never had much luck with fish even though bimacs are supposed to eat fish occasionally. And a piece of freshly killed lobster did not tempt her, either.
I think she was holding out for shrimp and crabs!
How old is your bimac?

Nancy
Thanks for the response! No idea how old my bimac is due to the fact that he/she was wild caught.

SaltBabies

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Live Brine shrimp has the cheapest grass shrimp I order from them. Sometimes from Sachs. Both are good. I get the 100 or so grass shrimp. I find with the 250 too many don't make it in shipping.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes47

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak