Looking for a book..

Omega

GPO
Registered
Any good books you guys can recommend that talks about Australian marine ecosystems/reef critters? I know I have to write a thesis at the end of the marine bio tract I'm transferring to and I thought it'd be cool to do the paper over the creation of artificial mini-eco systems. Using observation and data from my own mini eco system. With the intent of showing successful species propagation. Maybe just with corals and other inverts or maybe just fish. So my plan is to start a tank using only things that would encounter each other in the wild..Choosing Australia just cus. And starting early so there is at least a two-three years for the tank to go through its life cycles.

located in they keys though..i'll still be in Texas. though it might be a very good way to spend summers. I mainly was aiming at Australia because i think all the corals out of their reefs look incredible =p though its very hard to find them locally and buying them online is much more costly than corals of other areas.

Ken is trying to develop an intern program but I don't know where they are on that yet or if they are already overrun with local candidates. You might drop Ken (or Andy, who is heading up a lot of the program work) a note of inquiry for possibilities either this coming or the following summer to see it it sets any ideas in motion. Unfortunately, getting any staghorn or elkhorn here is not legal but at least you could work with the leaders of the repopulation front and do some real hands-on in situ fragging and transplanting. They may also know of closer nursery work, this winter was a disaster to an already bad situtation.

Ill send him an email once i settle in at the university next year. Hopefully I'll get at least some scuba classes down during that school year. I'm going to go book hunting at all the places around here later and see if I cant find a book to start out at.

Well I've been digging around trying to find websites that legitimately sell Australian critters..I found one website that even exports the live rock and sand from there. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen it or used it http://shop.australiancoralfarms.com.au/cat/19415.html their corals and sponges are alot cheaper than the ones you see in US based websites selling aussie goods..but shipping internationally and getting through customs seems like it'd be a terrible pain.

I might have to go as D suggested and set up something for a Caribbean reef.

Omega;151597 said:
Well I've been digging around trying to find websites that legitimately sell Australian critters..I found one website that even exports the live rock and sand from there. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen it or used it http://shop.australiancoralfarms.com.au/cat/19415.html their corals and sponges are alot cheaper than the ones you see in US based websites selling aussie goods..but shipping internationally and getting through customs seems like it'd be a terrible pain.

I might have to go as D suggested and set up something for a Caribbean reef.

Link doesn't work. I'd be very interested to see if their is an aussie place that exports stuff legally. I would imagine you'd need to do a large order as a cites permit is at least $150 I believe.

Omega;151600 said:
weird I clicked it and it works for me. their minimum is $180 try this one Australian Coral Farms

Got it working but there are tons of broken links and the website is slow.

From what I gather, this website seems to be the retail front for people in Australia to buy from. I'm sure the international minimum is much higher. They also are a supplier to one of my local reef shops (mentions all their acans go there) so they do have quality stuff.

If you do ask them about international shipping please post what they say.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back