long time salt water new to cephs

hi!
just found your site and have to say it's been very useful so far on my octopus adventure. his name is, well he, or she, doesn't have a name yet. :rolleyes:

i was sold what my LFS called a "dwarf octopus," now learning that, unfortunately, doesn't mean much. i would post a picture of him for an i.d., but he has chosen a broken off barnacle as a hiding spot and refuses to show his pretty little face.
i was told he was eating ghost shrimp, but i know these have little nutritional value and am searching for a suitable replacement. he did eat 2 last night sometime.

so, hi! I can't wait to meet some of you and your little guys

Welcome to Tonmo !

I am one of the few here who don't keep cephs as pets,but there is a ton of information on the site.

glad you found us!

Greg

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com!:welcome:

It's possible that you have a nocturnal octopus, because the most commonly available dwarf is O. mercatoris. If you look in the Journals and Photos forum, you'll find many accounts and photos of this species.

As for food, you might try small crabs or pieces of thawed, frozen shrimp.

You might want to start a journal yourself with accounts and photos of your new octopus. Does it have a name yet?

Nancy

If your local fish store can tell you (or can find out) where the octopus came from, it will help a little with the id. Most dwarf species are nocturnal and the most common would be O. mercatoris (Caribbean) but we occassionally see bocki (Pacific) and on a rare occasion chiachiere (Gulf of Mexico - west).

Hi and welcome! It might be easiest for you to cruise the journals for pictures of other people's dwarf octos for you to compare with what you have. Try looking for pictures of O. mercatoris and at Izzy's journal, I think she was a boki. Can you give more of a description of your friend, coloring, patterns or texture changes you've seen?

ok, he's a tiny little bugger, about 1'' mantle with 2-3" tentacles, hes reddish with yellow eyes, looks like a bocki, but i think he may be a mercatoris. tried feeding him a piece of a silverside soaked in garlic but he wanted nothing to do with it. what size crabs should he be eating and i saw in a post about a ball of small clams but it was from a few years ago i had some left over auto tint and since cephs have sensitive eyes, i tinted out my little guys crib, looks dope

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back