Long-finned Squid attack sequence

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by Monkeywrench, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Monkeywrench

Monkeywrench Cuttlefish Registered

I just found this randomly. Thought I'd share it. My apologies if this is link is ancient. From the page:

Photographs of selected frames from a high-speed cineĢ sequence of the capture of prey (a penaeid shrimp) with the tentacles by Loligo pealei. The elapsed time (ms) from the start of the sequence is indicated in the upper left-hand corner of each frame and corresponds to the time indicated by the abscissa of the plots in Fig. 2. The grid spacing in the background is 0.02m.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Thanks Monkeywrench, that's a very interesting set of photos. I've never seen this set before though have stumbled across a similar cuttlefish set. The absolute symmetry maintained in the sequence is quite astounding.

3. Squidman

Squidman Vampyroteuthis Registered

Wow!

Astounding, indeed. Coordinating those tentacles with such unimaginable symmetry and speed must be incredible to witness in person.

Not to mention coordinating the chromatophores, the suckers, the fin movements, and the possible photophores!

4. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

It is a stunning set of pics, but beware, not all squid use their tentacles like this (propel them out), and even if they do this on occasion, they don't always do it. There's another series of published pics, and a nice paper to accompany it, looking at ommastrephid prey-capture techniques. I'll get pics online shortly.

5. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

O..interesting its like half a squid facing a mirror. :wink:

6. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

The squid moves like that tool for getting the last olive out of the jar!

I'm looking forward to seeing the other series with less symmetrical movement.

Melissa