London

chrono_war01 said:
London was bombed by:
1) Irish Republicans
2) Al -Queda
3) Nazis

That's 3 that I could thing of.

Guy Fawlkes (sp?)
The French in 1066, but I don't know that they had bombs yet...

monty said:
Guy Fawlkes (sp?)

Er, well, not really. Mr Fawkes and his bunch of Catholic conspirators tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605 but their cache of explosives was discovered in a cellar just in the nick of time by the Kings men. Their aim was to overthrow the king, James I. I suppose they were the terrorists of their time.

Strangely, November 5th is Bonfire night in the UK. We set off lots of fireworks and burn effagies of Guy on bonfires, odd really that things are burned to celebrate something not being burned!

Phil said:
Er, well, not really. Mr Fawkes and his bunch of Catholic conspirators tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605 but their cache of explosives was discovered in a cellar just in the nick of time by the Kings men. Their aim was to overthrow the king, James I. I suppose they were the terrorists of their time.

I figured he deserved some credit for effort-- he/they "used explosives against London," just not successfully. Would that the Queen's men had been as fortunate yesterday.

Phil said:
Strangely, November 5th is Bonfire night in the UK. We set off lots of fireworks and burn effagies of Guy on bonfires, odd really that things are burned to celebrate something not being burned!

I don't find that as strange as eating marmite... although my British friends have similar issues with peanut butter, root beer, and trick-or-treating, so I guess I'm not in a position to call strangeness....

The Brits are an amazingly resilient people, and much to be admired. As bad as it was, I'm just glad that there weren't enough of the bastards to blow up any more of the lines.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back