• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Livebrineshrimp.com

Mike (owner) and Phylis (book keeper) are great people but their pricing does not reflect exactly what it will cost and they have not updated the site to reflect the extra charges (this may not be true in your case since you are also located in FL). The shrimp have almost always been healthy (I used to order regularly for my seahorses) but often have parasites that are supposed to be harmless to fish (unknown about octos) and are typical of these shrimp. I would remove the parasites (easily removed but it will kill the shrimp) and feed dead immediatly or freeze the ones I found with them attached.

I have also ordered clams from them that have lived well over a year if the octos did not eat them.

The whole batch is not afflicted with the parasites and how many have them depends upon the year. I remove the shrimp that carry them so they don't effect the others and have not had problems. Even with the parasites (a black bump, very obvious), they usually do well in a 10 gallon with a decent cascading filter.

Since I don't order large quantities of shrimp now and regularly order fiddlers, when I get shrimp, I get the smaller amount from Paul but if I want a large order of shrimp only, I will typically use Mariculture Technologies (aka NEBS/Live Brine Shrimp.com)

Like all things, it depends. The octos do not catch them easily and live ones left in the tank should not be for primary feeding (the younger ones catch them better than the older ones). When I have them, I put the majority in a 10 gallon and net them to hand feed, only putting a few in with the octos as a challenge snack. If you hand feed, one a day for a merc is about right but you should alternate with crab so, assuming you feed two different foods and you catch and hand feed the shrimp (harder to do in a tank with LR), about a month.

If you have die off (watch them closely for a week, especially during the summer) and can get them out of the tank (again harder to do but may not be necessary in the octo tank), they freeze well and can be thawed and fed.

Wow, I knew things have gotten tough with the economy and my last order was not handled well but I would not have expected that kind of response.

I have delt with both Paul and Livebrineshrimp.

With Paul I have had 3 shipments(1x100 mysid, and 2x100 shore shrimp) end up DOA. With Livebrineshrimp I have had 0 end up DOA.
However, I have also placed a couple orders with Livebrineshrimp that did not ship same day... One didn't even ship next day. They never called me. I had to call and keep on them.

They were however cheaper than Paul...shipping to North Carolina. So my recommendation would be that it never hurts to call ahead and make sure your order is going out. Especially with Livebrine but probably also with Paul.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back