Live crabs/grass shrimp wanted?

john

Hatchling
Registered
I'm thinking of starting an on-line business selling live crabs (1/4 inch-1 inch size ) for octo food. Is there alot of folks out there looking for these feeders? How about live grass shrimp (from saltwater ) or live saltwater feeder fish (killifish)? I can get shore crabs in alot of different sizes, whatever you need. Before i invest time and money in gearing up for this, i would love some feed back about demand for feeders. Plus any problems you have had in aquiring live food. Maybe i can help. Price range, i think i can be under $1 a crab for 1/2- 1 inch, 50 cents for 1/4 to 1/2 inch crabs. Live grass shrimp, 50 for $20, plus shipping on those numbers. Honestly, the more the demand,the lower i can price it. Please let me know what you think. Crabs would be fiddler or shore crabs depending on season and size. Larger crabs would be available price unknown ( probably $1- $2 depending on size ) Thanks, your feed back would be appreciated.

I think you would have to get it under a dollar to be competitive. Most of us have our reliable sources that we use and trust to get our live food. I am currently paying $1 a crabs about 1.5" assorted crabs usually Mythrax or decorator crabs. and I am paying $1.50 for a dozen shrimp. for the larger octo I get 2-3" blue crabs for $2 each.

The other source used on this site sells fiddlers @ 10 for $15, or 20 for $24. and mysid shrimp are 100 for $24, and 30 Salt Water Amphipods are $18

For me you would have to do better than these prices and still, you have toi understand most of us have used the same place for a long time and many will not be willing to try from a new person. I'm not saying don't do it, i'm just saying you are going to have do some work if you are going to get some converts. Competitive prices and good Internet marketing will be the key to your success, well thats the key to any internet retail business. Perhaps you could start an Ebay store.

Are you catching your product in the wild or aquaculturing? Do you have a commercial fishing permit? where are you located?

I have a commercial license. I'm located in Maryland. Alot of prices i have seen on the internet are all over the place. Some places grass shrimp are cheap, some not. The problem with shrimp is getting them shipped alive.I was basing prices on what i have seen and can i get it done for that price.I can get crabs of any size. That is if you are not worried about the species. A 2" blue crab isn't legal here. WE have other species ( shore,green, calico, mud, spider ). Does anyone even offer crabs under 1/2 inch? I understand the loyalty to a supplier, you have to earn trust especially on the net. Are there any foods that are on your wish list but no one seems to have them? I appreciate your feed back, any info is great, good or bad.

I am interested in how much these items will cost with shipping. I am in Ohio. I need them for my brittle star and snowflake eel.

If you start a sucessful bussiness I will be ordering from you. Im tired of all of the stores in florida, I live in MD and the shipping kills me. Its good to know theres a dealer closer to the Midwest, Northeast, and Midatlantic. If your business starts you will have a lot of coustomers, as your shipping to most of our members should be much less then from the suppliers in florida. By the way, what kind of license do you have? A bait dealing license? If you dont have a commercial blue crab license already you wont be able to get one, but with a commercial blue crab license you SHOULD be able to take any sized female blue. Last year the DNR said no female crabs are allowed to be taken, to help recoup the population, and it was a HUGE success. When my dad and I were crabbing last year, we would catch 2 dozen females to each male. So they might take some restrictions off.

Be careful about shipping the Japanese Shore Crab. It is an invasive species and may result in state or federal citations. Maryland is a state that would very upset if you shipped in shore crabs.
FYI...

I'd be interested in mysis since Maryland is a lot closer to NJ than Florida. I got 100 count for 25 shipped though, so at a competitive price, i'd be down.

I just got a deal on some crabs 100/$36 was the price but I managed to get them for $26 as a promo. I got lucky there I have been thinking of getting grass/ghost/popcorn shrimp from a online dealer/or bait shop. Cheapest I have found is $62/110 w/ shipping to 60134. If I was back in FL. I could just go to a fishing/bait shop and there around 12/$3-$4. But I'm in IL. Again and saltwater bait is scarce/non-existent. So I would be interested in ordering from you. Would you consider selling a bundle(mix of 12-20 variety of crabs & 50-100 grass shrimp)? I have only had my octopus for less then a week and have been feeding him crayfish and he's been hunting for the crabs/snails I have had as cleaners in my tank for the past year and a half or so. I also got a hitchhiker "cleaner" shrimp on some of the live rock I added b4 getting the octopus. I haven't seen him the past few days so either he's hiding or was a tasty snack.?.?.? Who knows. Any advice on feeding, how often/much do you feed your octopuses? Also what do you think is the best food? My guy is devouring the crayfish and whatever else he catches. So feeding isn't an issue, but I want to make sure he is getting a good variety of food w/ ample nutritional value. Any do's and don't's for me, and any other advice on keeping my octo healthy and happy? Ty

I saw a YouTube video of a giant marine octopus eating a large shark in an aquarium. They said that the large sharks just started disappearing and at night someone stayed and videotaped it. Makes sense since they are nocturnal hunters, really crazy to see an octopus eat a human-sized shark!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back