• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Live Aquaria Octopuses

wii64brawl

Blue Ring
Registered
I've seen some older threads on what LA sends, but no recent ones. What have they been sending out lately? Still A. adophus and sometimes members of the macropus complex?

Yes, mostly Abdopus complex, usually A. aculeatus. Diver's den is currently showing what I think is O. hummelincki but I have only see one other similar animal from them (she was labeled O. maya but turned out to be an O. hummelincki female that started brooding very quickly after arrival). From what we have seen, the Diver's Den animals have not been worth the extra price.

It would be more correct to say that any wild caught animal has an unknown age. When the lifespan is short, the amount of time in captivity is shorter. LA is the most posted supplier of A. aculeatus (few companies that ship and guarantee animals will take the chance on octopuses) so most of our experiences will be from them. As I understand it, the non-Diver's Den octopuses are acquired through a wholesaler and not from their own facility. Packing is always excellent and very few die during transit BUT they are rarely young animals. We have seen some live 7 - 8 months. I have never attempted a statistical analysis on the journaled animals but my gut feel is 4 months is the most common.

Keeping octopuses is not keeping a specific animal but setting up an environment that will host a variety over time. Typically, it will take you more time to acquire and set up an environment than you will keep the first one. I have often noted that I think I keep multiple tanks because the house feels wrong without an octopus in residence. If they are of different ages, we are never octopusless but on occasion, especially since I keep mostly Caribbeans and they seem to have a primary spawning season (they will spawn year round but early spring seems to see the most born), I will lose them all within a month. This February was one of those occasions but has now been remedied.

I consolidated the tank discussion on this thread with your other tank thoughts and moved the lot to Tank Talk. That way you have all of your tank considerations in one place for back reference and for others to read when deciding on a tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back