Little Omani Cuttlefish

Greetings all.

Can anybody identify this little (roughly 10 cm) cuttlefish? It was in very shallow water at low tide near the Oman Dive Centre close to Muscat.

Apologies for the poor images (two are stills from video). There are dark and light transverse bands on the mantle and an abundance of tubercles. When we were face to face it raised two tentacles to me.

I think the large cuttlefish we see in the supermarkets here are Sepia pharaonis, but this little animal looks very different.

Grateful for your help.

Attachments

• conv_304115.jpg
    conv_304115.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 101
  • conv_304113.jpg
    conv_304113.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 144
  • conv_304114.jpg
    conv_304114.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 114
  • conv_304112.jpg
    conv_304112.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 123
dwhatley;161968 said:
I was wondering if that fluorescent blue ring would be diagnostic AND if it would suggest toxicity.

Diagnostic I think yes, but not toxic. I have a group of S pharaonis at home (yes I know, I should take some pics) and they show that ring when excited or striking food. Interestingly, these guys are way different from S. bandensis - much more active, aggressive, and they hoard food!

Upvote 0
Hajar,
If you will use the little film strip icon to post the URL (not embedded code, just the URL like you do a link) the software will create embedding. I am going to work on a tips and tricks post for a few of the little software oddities like this, I promise :biggrin2:

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back