• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

little guy in big tank

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Monday I got this little guy from my favorite haunt, the Pet Connection. I brought him home and put him in a critter keeper in the 20 gal so I could get the chemistry spot on in the 55 gal. Yesterday I moved the critter keeper into the big tank (finally got the pH in range and holding!) and he looks so small (well, compared to Aku and the Once-ler)!

I'm estimating his mantle at about 1/2 inch. However, as I have no credibility when reporting sizes:oops:, he is in a box that is 12 in long and about 8 in tall. He seems tiny compared to the rest of the tank and for some reason I feel hesitant to let him out just yet. He has eaten a hermit crab (I'm going with Roy's suggestion to not overfeed- only every other day for my octos) and is very sociable. I'm sure he'd love to climb on the glass closer to us, and he has even tried to touch us during acclimation!

I think I'm hesitant because a few weeks ago I got a different aculeatus and it didn't last 24 hrs. I'm sure I'm just being over protective, but this one is my "dream come true," octo- a young, (hopefully) male aculeatus!:rainbow:

Attachments

• conv_303659.jpg
    conv_303659.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 106
  • conv_303660.jpg
    conv_303660.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 94
  • conv_303661.jpg
    conv_303661.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 103
  • conv_303662.jpg
    conv_303662.jpg
    970 KB · Views: 117
Hi sedna
i saw that octo 1 day befor you picked him up , and i was going to buy it but they told me its sold
to a person at tonmo who has alot of octopuses so do you ? really nice octo very active , i dont know gary or
whats his name told me he will order one for me so on tue. when there live stock came in, my othee came too
almost the same one like yours ...so do you breed them ? sell them ? how many do you have.
Regards

*this is my othee:
I just got Othee I.D needed - pic's

octopus9,

Gary told me someone else wanted him, glad they were able to get something for you! They are a good bunch of guys, knowledgable but honest when they don't know. They do feed octos crayfish instead of hermits which I razz them for a bit and they are still trying to order me a zebra octo for wholesale no matter how often I say NO!!!

No, I don't breed octos. My favorite so far are the aculeatus which are small egged octos- hatchlings the size of rice grains- and are not doable in smaller home aquariums. I've had 2 broods hatch out in my tank and 10 days was the longest I could keep them alive. Some people on TONMO have successfully bred O. mercatoris, a nocturnal dwarf variety, but I'm not doing nocturnals any more.

Ya my LFS is always asking if i want to buy an zebra octo from them. Every time i tell them they should be left in the ocean and not for aquariums,but since i am young they dont take me seriously..:mad::banghead:

sedna;140538 said:
octopus9,

Gary told me someone else wanted him, glad they were able to get something for you! They are a good bunch of guys, knowledgable but honest when they don't know. They do feed octos crayfish instead of hermits which I razz them for a bit and they are still trying to order me a zebra octo for wholesale no matter how often I say NO!!!

No, I don't breed octos. My favorite so far are the aculeatus which are small egged octos- hatchlings the size of rice grains- and are not doable in smaller home aquariums. I've had 2 broods hatch out in my tank and 10 days was the longest I could keep them alive. Some people on TONMO have successfully bred O. mercatoris, a nocturnal dwarf variety, but I'm not doing nocturnals any more.

yap that's me...yes gary is a good guy, i had one aculeatus but it died from age which i got from pet connection too.
gary told me if i wanted a zebra but no im sticking to those guys , i had the opretonety to buy a zebra form one of the LFS for 90$ but i didn't ,and now i just ordered another octo from Seashells but i dont know what kind !!!!:goofysca:
nice talking to you...

Glad you didn't take the zebra! Those of us on this site generally discourage "zebra" or "wunderpus" or any other name those species may be sold under, no matter the cost. It is still unknown at this time what their wild numbers are, they don't ship well, and frequently don't do well in captivity. Aculeatus are a great little octo that do well in the home aquarium and are not a threatened species. I look forward to following Othee's journal!

bluespotocto;140548 said:
Ya my LFS is always asking if i want to buy an zebra octo from them. Every time i tell them they should be left in the ocean and not for aquariums,but since i am young they dont take me seriously..:mad::banghead:

Don't feel like it's just because you are young! I'm a 38 yr old mom who has been shopping these same store for 10 years and I still get blown off sometimes. SOmetimes people think they know more just because they work at the store, and sometimes they just don't care, it's all about the $$$. Keep it up, though, it's worth it for the times you DO get taken seriously!:yinyang:

bluespotocto;140548 said:

how old are you:confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back