List of Our Cuttlefish 2006

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
The following is a preliminary list of our TONMO.com cuttles, who's keeping them and other information. This will be updated regularly. Please submit additions and corrections to me by pm. Thanks,
Nancy

Current Cuttlefish, listed by keeper (WC=wild caught, TB=tank bred)

nani87 cuttle (species?) July/06 Perth, Western Australia
Cuttlegirl Scrunchy, Cuddly, Baby A (S.bandensis) May 19/06 PA
Thales 10 cuttles + eggs (S. bandensis) from Bali and PI CA
Paradox Panzer, Faust (S. bandensis) Dec/05 TB eggs CA

In Memorium
Illithid Bill (S.bandensis) June/06 FLA - Feb 07
DHyslop Checkers (S.bandensis) June 9/06 NC
DHyslop Chubbs (S.bandensis) June 9/06-Oct 11/06 NC
i need cuttle Lazarus (S. bandensis) Feb 7/06-Oct/06 egg from aquatropics WC? TX

i live in california and am frustrated with the whole egg shipping, and stuff will anyone sell me there young. or eggs for a lower cost please. i want a cuttlefish preferably bandensis.

magikceph;92571 said:
i live in california and am frustrated with the whole egg shipping, and stuff will anyone sell me there young. or eggs for a lower cost please. i want a cuttlefish preferably bandensis.

Aren't you getting a little ahead of yourself? First you have to purchase the tank and all the extras, get it set up, add the live rock, etc, and let it cycle for a few months. At that point you start searching for either the eggs or the live cuttle. The good thing about all of the time it takes is that it gives you an opportunity to learn as much as possible by reading all the articles and following all the applicable threads. Then, when you do get your cuttle, he will have a much better chance of survival.

i think your right sorseress, but i wanna be sure that i can get a cuttle. because i don't wanna spend time and money on something that will never be. but i think i will be able to get one, it's not that impossible, is it!?

No, I don't have any ceph tank, and that is at least partly because we want to be free to pick up and travel (we're retired) whenever the mood hits us. You can find someone to care for a cat or dog, even for horses and more exotic animals like alpacas, but the water quality requirements of ceph tanks are so stringent that you can't just hire someone to come in and do it. They have to really know what they are doing.
Something that you need to do before you go any farther with your cuttlefish quest, is figure out what this is going to cost you. You need to price everything you will need, and there is plenty of information on Tonmo to at least give you ballpark figures, and then you need to consider the costs involved in feeding cuttles. As DHyslop and cuttlegirl can attest, if you don't live where you can go to the ocean and catch your own food, the costs can be astonomical. Cuttles eat a lot, and having to have fresh sea food shipped in every week is really expensive. Do you have a job? If your parents are going to have to help you out with this, they need to know what you, and by extension, they, are getting into.

actually my aunt told me there are people whos entire job is to take care of salt water aquariums. i bet you can find one if you try hard enough.

magikceph;92726 said:
actually my aunt told me there are people whos entire job is to take care of salt water aquariums. i bet you can find one if you try hard enough.

For someone who doesn't know much about saltwater tanks in general, that post comes across pretty rude and uninformed.
Finding a service company that is any good at talking care of a reef tank is hard enough. Finding one that has any useful experience with cephs is basically impossible.

magikceph;92742 said:
ok, ok i get what you mean, you don't have to insult anyone about it.

There's more than one way to be insulting, magikceph. I don't think that Thales would be unreasonable to feel insulted that you can't be bothered to read the articles and posts he and many others have written in detail about cuttlefish care, because you'd apparently rather make him (or anyone else) type it in again. That comes across as telling him that his time and effort is much less important than yours. I find that attitude far more insulting than his pointing out that you are coming across as rude. Most of the time, if someone has gone to the trouble to tell you that you are coming across as rude, it's worth asking yourself "what did I do to make this person think I was rude" rather than saying "you've insulted me, so I'm going to get offended."

These are pretty rare animals in the hobby at this point. Your best way to know where to get a ceph is usually here although I don't reckon the availability thread has been updated recently. Most people don't have a LFS that regularly keeps cuttles or octopuses. Most online stores that carry them have them in stock often but yes, you have to pay shipping which is usually around $35 for FedEx overnight. The only place you're likely to find cuttles is here and they are way less common than octopuses.

Painesak73;144450 said:
hmmm... this is going to be trickier than I first thought.
Perhaps we need to ask at venues, they dont normally have a computer sitting in the corner of the pub...

Is there any way in which this post makes sense?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back