Lir - Octopus ?

Long time, no update. Sorry for the absence, life has been crazy lately. So we still aren't 100% sure on the sex of our friend, but continue to think it's a male. He hasn't eaten a blue damsel that is too elusive to catch or a peppermint shrimp, we aren't sure if they're his den maids or he's just being lazy/has no interest in them as food. He has been very fond of crabs, hermits and snails which make maintaining a clean up crew rather expensive and he threw some fresh shrimp right back at me in defiance. Lately it seems that he's been coming out a lot more at night to explore. We don't see much of him in the daytime unless he's out plucking large turbos off of the wall for a snack. He has definitely damaged some very hard to find corals as well, the most recent being a Pink Frogspawn. He even ate the cocoa worms and feather dusters we added. Needless to say, I've developed severe MTS (multiple tank syndrome) and now have a 14gal nano for keeping crabs in, and to clean up coral that needs help, and also a 125gal with 55gal refugium being set up as a fish/frag tank. I plan on moving basically all my corals to that tank, but don't want to leave this one so bare and dull. I figured I could keep zoas and mushrooms and other things I don't mind potentially losing in there that still have good color. Any advice on a reliable clean up crew or clues as to why he's become nocturnal and destructive lately?

We often see a behavior change after they are fully acclimated (from 1 - 2 months) but changes after that bare extra thought. The destruction could be maturity and mate seeking (or, if female, setting up a den). The fish may be an annoyance that is shifting his outings to evening.

In addition to stings, one of the cautions I usually mention about keeping any kind of coral is that octopuses do not go around corals, they go over them (and often wrap them in their webbing looking for food items).

For clean up crew, serpent or brittle stars (avoid the green) do well and usually outlive many octopuses in their tanks. I am particularly fond of the red/orange brittles as they often give hints as to the octos den.

MTS is a draining disease but I can never choose a tank to shut down to reduce my workload :wink:.

We often see a behavior change after they are fully acclimated (from 1 - 2 months) but changes after that bare extra thought. The destruction could be maturity and mate seeking (or, if female, setting up a den). The fish may be an annoyance that is shifting his outings to evening.

He's beyond the 1-2 mo, he also has a pretty well established den. He actually uses the shells of snails for protection at night, as in he sucks them to his tentacles and holds them all at the mouth of the den like a wall. We've seen him stalk the fish during the day, but seems to have given up on that.

In addition to stings, one of the cautions I usually mention about keeping any kind of coral is that octopuses do not go around corals, they go over them (and often wrap them in their webbing looking for food items).

He definitely goes over most, but the few that remain that could/would sting him he avoids like the plague. I've seen him more than once scale the glass to avoid a torch's reach. The Pink Frogspawn shouldn't sting him, yet he has destroyed one head and I will likely lose another due to infection that spread too quickly before amputation. He did the same thing to my Rainbow Wall Hammer just maybe a week prior. Could he be trying to clear that area to move dens?

For clean up crew, serpent or brittle stars (avoid the green) do well and usually outlive many octopuses in their tanks. I am particularly fond of the red/orange brittles as they often give hints as to the octos den.

I've had two brittles and both deteriorated within weeks. Not sure if it was hermits tearing them up or something else, but I will certainly try a few more. I was also under the impression serpents could harm him. Thanks for clearing that up and hopefully I'll have better luck with the next two or three stars I put in.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back