Lir - Octopus ?

Crabcrusher

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! Just got our newest addition here. He was picked up in California and listed as a GPO, however I'm not seeing the same habits as a GPO. Everything else the wholesaler had was Austrailian so my guess this far has been a veined or coconut octopus (amphioctopus marginatus). So far he/she doesn't seem to be nocturnal, or interested in eating fish, likes to burrow and collect shells to make a den and absolutely loves crabs (2 were eaten in the first 24hrs in the tank). I'm uploading the first pictures we've taken of him and will upload videos as well. Looking forward to identifying him/her and journaling all of our interactions to come. Hopefully someone can help shed some light on this species for me. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
The coloring and texture is definitely off for GPO or O. rubescens. It is important to identify the animal to be sure the water temp is correct, feeding does not vary much. GPO's and rubys (that are often mistaken for young GPOs) require very cold water. Coloration does but arm to mantle ratio doesn't suggest Abdopus (but arms length is often misleading depending on predator encounters and this would be my first impression) so could be marginatus (but we have not seen them from wholesalers - they seem to have shipping difficulties and the eyes don't look right). Are there any identifying other markings like arm spots or false eyespots? Each time I revisit the images (especially the last), I am inclined toward aculeatus.

We don't have a direct video upload but the software supports videos to be displayed in-line from most of the popular hosting sites. Do not use the embed code, instead use the direct link (some sites will have a BB link and that will also work).

Last edited:

Crabcrusher

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. Tank isn't anything to write home about, a meek 72gal set up with a refugium, about 30lbs of live rock and quite a few coral pieces. All the Damsels and Chromis were intended on being food, but I put them in early to help cycle the tank faster. Our 6 legged star was just a bonus from my LFS.

Back to our octo, Lir, it's not liking the fish like I said and it's very protected in the nook of one of my larger rocks. When it sleeps for the past two days now it has grasped shells and ruble to hold beneath it, as if to protect it from attacks from beneath it. The first two days it was pretty active during the day, and yesterday it didn't come out once, just snatched a hermit that wandered by the den. I put the tank to bed and as soon as all the lights were off I could see it dropping out of its hole into the tank more, but this morning I can't see any definite evidence that it'd been out gathering all night.I'm unsure if this is still a settling phase or a sign of nightlife. My tank is at a steady 74*F all my levels have been perfect and steady. The arm lengths are definitely going to be a bit misleading with this one since I can confirm the front two and possibly two others show battle damage. In some of the videos and pictures you can see the new growth doesn't turn black when the rest of its body does. As far as identifying marks go- I can't point out any false eye spots or arm rings. The only thing I can see is that when we put it into the tank and it initially there were eye rings or eyebrows and a ridge up the mantle that stayed sandy-colored, I think you can see it in the first video below.

Here's the first video of the tank entry;

Here's the first crab, less than 16hrs in the tank btw;

Sorry for such a huge post, but I'd rather put in as much as I can rather than wait for another question to answer. I'm hoping to get a solid identity quickly so I can change my tank settings if need be to make the best environment for my new friend.

DW- Thanks a ton, I'm reading about aculeatus now looking for common traits.

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Damsels can be intimidating to octopus, so yes, put them in the refugium. Also, I might add some more live rock, your bioload is going to go up... How long has your tank been set up?

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janette

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak