"... like they do on the Discovery Channel..."

Hello!

It's been awhile since I posted. My wife had a baby in September, and I needed to start him on his marine biology training. We've been cracking my collection of Blue Planet: Seas of Life DVD's, and he smiles and smiles. We even bought him an octopus mobile :P

Anyway, I digress... Here's an interesting heads-up: Discovery Channel's Animal Planet website has a new feature - a theoretical evolution special called "The Future is Wild" which takes place 5 million, 100 million, and 200 million years into the future where mankind is extinct and, apparently, squids rule the earth (not kidding folks - check out the Squibbon, Rainbow squid, and Megasquid).

http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/futureiswild/futureiswild.html

As an interesting footnote, the biologist/writer Dougal Dixon came up with two very good books on this subject of future evolution - AfterMan: A Zoology of the Future, and The New Dinosaurs: An Alternative Evolution. The latter features an interesting land-walking nautilus-type called a "coconutgrab".

The actual program will be on Jan 1st at 8 p.m. on Animal Planet, but I thought that this might spark some interest, and I can't help but wonder what the cephalopod could evolve towards in 200 million years...

Cthulu Calls, and boy is he steamed... he's using his roaming minutes! :x

Your Friend in the Deep Blue Sea,

John

I can't wait to check this out! (When I can get near a computer better than this one, essentially a stone with a modem... )

Also liked the subject line :wink: :shock:

I recently received an e-mail from one of the creators of "The Future is Wild", Dougal Dixon. He has written three books on alternative evolution and he explained to me how he was inspired to consider cephalopod evolution in the future. Neat stuff.

Sushi and Sake,

John

The Future is Wild

It startes here on Discovery cable in Australia with a 2 hour special on the 1st (Tuesday?). I have the video all warmed up...

KRin

Re: "... like they do on the Discovery Channel..."

I recognise that avatar you are using - from "Hamtaro" right? I watched a couple of episodes as Paul Dobson is supposed to be the voice of Howdy but I can't pick it. Its amazing what garbage-er interesting - stuff I watch being a voice chaser....

KRin

Fujisawas Sake said:
I recently received an e-mail from one of the creators of "The Future is Wild", Dougal Dixon. He has written three books on alternative evolution and he explained to me how he was inspired to consider cephalopod evolution in the future. Neat stuff.

Sushi and Sake,

John
Yeah, AND??? :smile: So who's gonna tell us about the inspiration, him or you? :wink:

Heh heh.... Calm down, Tony. :smile:

Actually, I was thinking of writing a post dealing with the cephs from "The Future is Wild", but I am waiting to hear back from an old invert zoo instructor before I write.

Mr. Dixon told me that he was inspired by watching an octo escape from its tank on a fishing boat. I have watched octos work their way out of tidepools, across water tables in labs, and do some other amazing stuff.

Oh, and as to my new avatar... yeah, its a Hamutaro (or "Hamtaro" in the US of A). I really don't know much about the series, but I think I bear a weird resemblance to this guy, so I posted this pic while I look for another Anime ceph picture.

Sushi and Sake (and I made my first Donburi dish today!!!!)

John

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back