• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

LIGHTING question, I have read through other posts as well

docwthem5

Hatchling
Registered
I am just now getting around to setting up my 55 gallon tank for a new octopus. I have some questions though. I have read a ton around this site and the problem I think is there may be too much information at times :smile: It can be overwhelming. Anyways, I want to get a species that will be ok with having a moonlight/daylight LED combo. Which specific species are those? I realize it may even vary from particular octopus to octopus within the species but which will give me the best shot. At this point I'm not interested in doing the red LED setup unless I truly have too. Also, can I have the nightlight be a some black light LED's that will help the color pop in some of the species? Your help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Your best bet will be a diurnal octo (hummelincki, aculeatus). Diurnal's sleep at night so there is nothing to watch but you MUST provide caves with no lighting for their night time den. Normal reef enhancement lighting (white with actinic) will accentuate the color, particularly the eyespots on the hummelincki. One LED nightlight we used was color setable an we used the red setting and just left it on 24/7. This worked well until the power went off because the optional settings were not maintained for even a brief power outage and it would revert to white. The white light at night would stress Octane badly and we would find him pacing the aquarium at nigth when we would forget to reset the light. After a summer of excessive thunderstorms, we just turned it off.

I have not tried blue lighting for my nocturnals, I know red works well.

Sounds great thanks for your help, not to just find a hummelincki now. I know there is a thread that is for octopuses that are available, but getting the right species, from what it sounds like atleast might be the tricky part now.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back