life spans

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by thecount1, Nov 5, 2004.

1. thecount1

thecount1 Larval Mass Registered

what octos live the longest?? i could do anything up to a 55g tank..including that dangerous BRO..i hear they die very quickly though...same thing that happens to you if you touch them!
    cheers
    keith

2. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

in a 55, your best bet is going to be a captive bred bimac...a lot of our members have had great success with them, all easily obtainable through octopets or fishsupply...
    don't forget to enter your tank into the Tonmo database...that way Nancy, Carol, Colin and others can view the information to see what is happening, and answer your questions...
    greg

3. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: I agree, that a bimac is a wonderful first octo experience. My one, Ink lived with me for 10 months and we figured he was around 14 months old. They also have been compared to being the Labradors of the octopus species, as they are so friendly and inquisitive!

Carol

4. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com!

Yes, the bimac would be your best choice. They're also being tank bred, rather than wild caught, which is another advantage. They're active during the day, too, which means you'll see a lot of their activities.

Nancy