[Octopus]: Licik/Misty - A. Aculeatus? - Jocco's Pus

To us in the South, the footnote was not needed :biggrin2: but the context is one I need to mark for first time keepers.

It this is indeed an aculeatus it will be diurnal (mostly) after it settles in. These tend to be one of the more desirable species because of their daytime activity and because they often readily interact with humans AND you can photograph with the regular lights on :wink:. The down side is their tank life. Most often these are caught as adults with only a few months remaining but we do have some that have been journaled for around a year.

I would not recommend putting sand in the Critter Keeper but would recommend releasing it to the tank soon so that it does not need to make multiple adjustments.

Roc took this pic last night, ceph was out on the rock like Lion King.
The video is also from yesterday.

It is coming out of the keeper after a water change and maintenance this week. The day Taba died, the feeder tank clams also exploded. We had to move fish back into the DT.
The Aculeatus came so fast, we weren't ready - thus the analogy to being pregnant lol.

I put the Foxworthy footnote in for anyone under 30 who might not get it :smile:

Attachments

• 2015121295234422.jpg
    2015121295234422.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 127
So far, the only name coming to mind is Simon.
Simon says NO DO NOT COME TOO CLOSE OR I WILL INK
Simon says FREEZE... neener neener you can't find me
Simon says look'it all these colors and textures I can do.

Still not married to the name. Just an update :smile:

I'm not seeing any hermit movement in the CK. There were 3 in with him/her.

Last edited:
More Exploring

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.24.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.24.27 PM.png
    228.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.59 PM.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.41 PM.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.31 PM.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 130
I feel bad :frown: But I want a tank maintenance first.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.23 PM.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.01 PM.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 3.23.12 PM.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 124
Might be Simone vs Simon. Unfortunately, there are not good ways (until eggs are laid) to easily determine a female since maturity also comes into play for observing the third right arm (clockwise as you orient your eyes with the animal) being curled. There is also a small channel along the hectocotylus as well as a small tip that is shaped differently and does not have suckers but these are very hard to see in small, active animals. However, from your videos and images (so far) I don't see suggestions of it being male. Once it is in the tank and extends its arms for longer durations, the curl will become evident if it is a Simon.

Tank was serviced yesterday. Told us to not move the fish immediately, wait 2 weeks. But they used water from the DT to fill the 10gal. I don't want to kill fish, but last time they moved the fish immediately. Pft...

We released the kraken Wednesday night. We couldn't watch it dance on the critter carrier. Made us sad :frown:
It was eating well, coloration seemed fine, didn't seem stressed other than being stuck in a box.

First we did some aquascaping, made more hiding spots closer to sand. I read this type of octo likes to be near rocks and sand.

Wednesday, it explored, hunted a scarlet shrimp for an hour (didn't catch it) booted Sir Stewart from his current lodging, scared the bejezus out of the fish. Tried to take lodging in a shell, but the fish pestered it until the ceph slunk into a huge rock and watched from a peep hole.

Thursday morning I saw arms under the same rock.

Tried feeding a small piece of raw tuna. Found the piece on Friday am, a shrimp had it. There are at least 10 hermits crawling around the tank, I can't tell if it ate another one. It was eating at least 2 hermits a day upon arrival.

We haven't seen the octopus since the arm flair Thursday am.

I'm trying clams in a little while, let ya'll know how it goes.

If you find yourself staring at a seemingly empty tank for more than an hour, daring something to move.... you miiiiiiiight have an octopus.

If you find yourself sitting on your hands as to not disturb the rocks to look for an octopus you just released.... you miiiiiiight have an octopus.

She tried to nab a hermit or two!
Tried to go for one in a large shell, and possibly carried another back to the den.

She was open and flowy, grabbed a hermit, then traveled back in a scooting ball like shape.

It is under or in the rock that Taba preferred. But it was hunting on the other side of the tank. Seen about 45 mins after I put a clam into the tank. I guess the clam was the pie on the windowsill.

Yay! Alive and hunting.

About 10 mins before I saw the octopus, I saw Sir Stewart up on the overflow box vents. Had to scoot him off. Should have known the octopus was out and about, haha, she scared the bujezus out of the pistol shrimp on Wednesday too.

Attachments

• 20151219_191755.jpg
    20151219_191755.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 111

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back