[Octopus]: Licik/Misty - A. Aculeatus? - Jocco's Pus

Thankies :smile:

Here is a few more.
1pic Catching crabs - spotted coloring between LR.
And 2 pics of her taking out the trash, textured mantle, spotted.

And video of her taking out the trash

Jerry #3 still lives. I'm thinking this is classic "If there is easier food, I'm going for that first" octopus behavior.
Also, I'm thinking, Licik/Misty ate Jerry #2 quickly because it was one of her first crabs after we were waiting on a shipment, and she ate shrimp for a few days.

We started to call Licik - Misty - couldn't get the hang of pronouncing the name, and Rocco picked out a different one to begin with, that we couldn't find again, and I forgot.
Short for Mischievous/Mystery.

Bonus that octopus are like cats - they will come when they want - and rarely - if ever - to their name.

Attachments

• 20160209_204539.jpg
    20160209_204539.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 111
  • 20160209_234852.jpg
    20160209_234852.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • 20160209_234858.jpg
    20160209_234858.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Good thing they don't have identity crisis lol
Licik/Misty, for continuity works. Thank you.

Came home to "puppy eyes". Her pupils were very big. Naturally I fell for it and immediately put in 2 crabs.

Attachments

• 20160210_203319.jpg
    20160210_203319.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
There are two crabs in a tank by themselves and one full sized crab in one of the octo sumps. All were raised from tiny octo food acquisitions but did something that made me put them aside. I've never heard any of the squeak though.

Never?
When we are messing with the critter carrier (refreshing the water) they chirp and squeak. Same thing when we tried putting one in a plastic bottle. And when we stick the tongs in to grab one to put in the tank.
It is probably bc we are terrible beasts.

I am a weenie and will not hand grab a live crab yet. Lol.

Nope and my hearing is pretty good (in spite of my age :old:).
You are indeed a weenie :sagrin: (I don't grab the adult blue crab but do come close - but not too close - to his pincers when I feed him). I do often use a net to catch them but mostly because the crabs I feed are too fast. I do use my fingers when I release them to the octo tank. If they can pinch, I remove that capability as I don't want them injuring the octo.

Sea spiders...eww. I'm not desensitized enough yet. They're quick and I am not ready for that crawly sensation.

I have no problem if crabs are cooked. Yum.

I had hamsters, dogs, birds growing up; played with and loved them all. Then had a farm on my college campus. I also love to cook.

Still not touchin' them yet. I know I will get tired of the tong situation, lol.

Next round of fiddlers, we will record the squeaking.

Last edited:
LOL, Neal keeps threatening to cook Fred (the blue crab) and CrawDaddy (our small Spanish lobster). All in jest of course but Fred IS eating size (CrawDaddy never will be). When either dies, they will become octo food but not before (same with the other two crabs in their own tank).

Hm. If I wasn't nervous about finding crabs in my couch/house, I may put a few small ones in the sump. But it's open, and they can probably crawl up the tubes/wires and things.
Nooo thank you, haha.

Unlike fiddlers, the crabs I try to use are full saltwater and not prone to escape. Fiddlers are tricky little guys and we have found them in a number of places so I use a very tall bucket when I have them. I did lose a crab living in a short sump last year. Never did find the guy and he was 3-4 inches across.

New delivery of fiddlers came in - busy day - with an upcoming birthday *cough* Rocco *cough*.
Will get video of the squeaking soon.

LFS gave us a single frozen silverside to try as food - she loved it. We offered it to her around 6pm and she finally came out to toss her garbage at 9pm. Wish I looked up silversides before I gave it to her - now I know fish aren't the best.
The shrimp and pencil urchin are fighting over her garbage at the moment.

We tossed a fiddler in to offer her free range food - lol - for later.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back