[Octopus]: Licik/Misty - A. Aculeatus? - Jocco's Pus

Well, we fixed her butt today. We took the ride to Absolutely Fish in NJ (dangerously great place) and picked up more hermits and fiddlers.

I need to find a bait shop and find time to hit the asian market. $60 weekly isn't comfortable; piggy. Hahaha.

Licik is voracious, crustaceans, shrimp, etc. Taba was happy with just shrimp.

First Crab Bubble -

First Crab Bubble pt2 -

Went in at 9pm, she was out and about. Played touch and go, snuck up on it, ambushed it, hugged it, touched it, gave me attitude. It is now 3am. No popped bubble. She has been spending time chasing the remaining peppermint shrimp, exploring/hunting, and sneaking up on the bubble.

With the vids, I caught her changing colors, and doing the color flooding blinking thing. Stripes down the mantle, arm bands, sandy color, dark etc. Fun to watch.
I felt like I left a goat out for a TRex - Jurassic Park
I also felt like Tom Green in Road Trip - Scene where he is left on campus to feed the snake, watches it for DAYS, and nothing happens.

Octopus are like aquatic cats, or children. They do a thing, or you want them to do a thing, and you've seen them do a thing, you've seen others in their species do a thing -- but turn the camera on -- and NOTHING. lol

Pics of Licik watching, eating, relaxing, and playing chopsticks.

Attachments

• 20160118_223156.jpg
    20160118_223156.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
  • 20160116_142532.jpg
    20160116_142532.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 95
  • 20160116_023551.jpg
    20160116_023551.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
  • 20160116_133908.jpg
    20160116_133908.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
The videos and description give a great picture of, "what to expect when you keep an octopus", and emphasizes the patience required to enjoy them. I have also compared their behavior to cats. :biggrin2:

I gave her a piece of shrimp that night, but kept the bubble.
Woke up to an intact bubble - so we let the crab out and she got it.

Last night we put a crab in a clear jar - no lid.
Ambushed it twice and sulked off butt hurt, no other interaction.

This morning the crab was still alive. We left it in the jar and fed it.
Offered her a different crab via chop sticks, waved it around the tank, dunked it into the open jar a few times to show her it was open, then offered the new crab - she ate it.

She came out around when we got home 8:30pm - really grasping our patterns now.
The crab was still in the jar. She did some exploring, snuck up on the jar, but no real interaction, touched the glass a few times with an arm, but no real attempts were made to get the crab.

Explored the tank a little, stood up on the conch in the corner of our tank by the yellow plant (she likes watching us from there) and threw the crab body shell (from breakfast) at me.

I think she is pissy about the crab in a jar - and is demanding more easy meals, haha.

We left the fed crab in the jar again tonight. It is only a matter of time before she figures it out :smile:

OOh also, almost forgot, today is the 3rd time we caught her up on the glass near the top of the tank. Once, she seemed to be investigating the small panel of glass/lid near the overflow. Second time, opposite side of the tank, possibly looking to flush out the lone peppermint shrimp. And a 3rd on that same side of the tank "watching TV" or Rocco.

Last edited:
Crab is still in the jar.

We moved the jar so it isn't stuck between rocks, instead it is now on the sand.

I think we have a C Student on our hands, lol. It has been 5 days. We feed the crab, we have dipped a stick with shrimp on it while Licik was watching a few times. We wiggle our fingers slowly at the top of the jar, to show her the jar is open. Nada.

She likes to watch and feel the jar and the fiddler jumps and waves.

We feed her a fiddler when we get home every evening. We wait a half hour after she comes out to explore.

Odd she figured out how to get out of the carrier, but not into the jar with a sizeable crab inside.

If we dump the week'so worth of crabs and hermits in, Licik will slaughter everything she can in 3 days. I cannot believe this crab is still alive.

Maybe if we name the fiddler, she will eat it.

Jerry the Crab. A nod to Tom and Jerry.

:tomato:Pft.
Hahaha.

1. Naming it worked. Here's a new pro tip, lol.

2. Now I have a control # of days to base new food puzzle experiments on.

She got the crab early this morning, Rocco saw her dragging the body to her den. We missed the action, but she figured it out.

Let the fun begin!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back