• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

LFS's stink!

Incredible! I have seen some of the problems here on this site, and also hope they will be bred comercially soon. Knowing that octos are highly oxygen sensitive, could this be pat of the problems involved with there shipping? Also, are there any spiecies that are good tank candidates to be found in US waters?

Colin, thats quite a seletion of pets you've got. My wife finally agreed to let me get my birdeater! :biggrin2: Ill post pics when I get her. Same with the octo. Have any other critters?

that could be part of it but i think that they are mature specimens that are caught and possibly cianide caught.

Also keep Xenopus frogs, Budgett frogs, Silurana frogs, bullfrog/+bullfrog tadpole, plenty fish, chevron and then dogs.

I am currently cephless as i am doing a lot of renovation and recently became a dad

well done with the BE!!! :smile: pics i hope? how much are they in the US?

Well, I dont know about the rest of the US, but florida has laws on bringing one across state lines: you cant. The prices locally are $75 for a small (probably a spiderling) and $125 for a 4"-5". Supposedly the enviroment here in florida is ideal for there survival and people can be quite attached to there poodles/chiuahua's :biggrin2: . Congrats on becoming a father. My daughter is 16 mo. now and a real nut. (she takes after her mother :biggrin2: ) I want to put a tank in her room when she gets a little older, but my wife doesnt want to. I still dont understand her!

At one point in time I wanted a frog tank, but then saltwater fish grabbed me harder than anything else, even more than my cichlids, and I had a big selection of those for a while.

that's comparable in price to the uk too... spiderlings can be tricky with theraphosa so id get a bigger one if you can.

frogs are probably my second fav animals

Yeah, one day I hope to have a mantella tank, a leaf frog tank, and POSSIBLY a posion dart tank. I love the blue and the strawberry darts. Awsome coloration. I dont recall the Xenopus frogs though, Ill have to look those up.

OK. Ive had those. Voracious eaters. I used one along with 15 goldfish to cycle one of my tanks. The golds were cut down to three over night! And he liked to jump out of the tank! The budgett frogs look mean but no one around here carries them. My xenopus was mistaken for a african dwarf and grew VERY quickly. I would also like to find an ?oxylotl? but cant be found around here either. Kinda like a water dog but.........diffrent I cant explain it but they are cool.

I have had axolotls in the past and i think there are some old posts on the forum regarding them... They are quite easy because at least room temperature is good for them.

Off the top of my head there are about 20 species of xenopus-like frog species, they actually show quite a lot of variation within species, shame most LFS's only carry either the small brown crappy ones of the bog standard albinos LOL I would like to get a hold of some Pipa pipa again. I worked with them in Trinidad but all the ones i have seen for sale here in scotland have been £75 trade price each!

I have pics of my budgett frogs somewhere on this site.. i'll see if i can find them.... Mine are currently aestivating in a box of dry peat, they until the 19th which will be 2 months exactly... hoping they spawn after that :smile:

Yeah, Id like to see those pics. And the Xenopus I had was the typical brown. And the only other available was albino! Cool pets and easy to car for. I ended up giving mine to my roomate (before I got married) and started to question that move when I saw him feeding it bits of pizza,burger, chips,fries, and whatever else he was munching on at the time. The sad part was the frog ate that stuff! I could have killed him. Then he cranked the AC down to its lowest setting, around 60-65 I think and frosted over half of my 12+ herps. I lost my water dragon, 2 uromastix, a colony of tree frogs, a pair of baskilisk, and had to put my redtail boa on meds for two weeks. I was gone for two weeks National guard trianing and came home to this. Never found out what happend to the frog, as I moved out very shortly after and into another apt. ( that doesnt allow reptiles of any sort, but says NOTHING about spiders :biggrin2: !) After our house gets built, were gona have a dedicated room for them though.

Budgett pictures as promised :smile:

Note that the pic titled Xenopus is actually a female Silurana tropicalis but i cant change the pic title as it is now on a CD

Nice pics. The makings make all the diffrence in the Xenopus. Much better looking than the common brown. And the budgett look awsome. I might have to see if I can find a pair. Same husbandry?

mostly, but you will need water they can stand up in and an amazing supply of food or they will eat you out of house and home!!!!

Will post more pics when i take them out of aestivation

Hi, I just couldn't resist. I have a Brazillian Salmonpink Birdeater, and I love her! She is about 14 months old and 3 inches wide. I got her as a tiny spiderling, and put her cage in my reptile room. She's great! I also have a Cuban Tiger Rump. Neat looking, but hides in her den all the time.

I am putting in a system with a reeftank, a fish only and possibly a octo tank. Hence the research on this site. Wow a lot to learn! :yinyang:

Yeah, my cobalt has realized that she can dig and hasnt been seen more than twice for the past month. the bad news is Ive got to piss her off by destroying her burrow, because she just molted, and thats the only way to retrieve the molt. Theres no way im putting my fingers down her hole :mrgreen: .

Are you going to be having those tanks inline on the same system? Ive been contemplating the same thing if so. Im just going to be sure to double the circulation required for the protien skimmer, and the water leaving the octo portion will immediately hit the PS.

Nice frogs! There was a plethora of axolotls in town last year...interesting, but I have a black thumb when it comes to amphibs ! (nobody can kill a red eye tree frog faster than me...)
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back