[Letter to the Editor]: Identification Assistance

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Jude P. took the attached photo when snorkeling off Moorea. Here's the email; my guess follows:

Hello,

I got this email address from an internet search.

When I was snorkeling in the waters off Moorea, I was swimming with my (cheap) disposable camera in front of my mask, just in case I saw anything interesting.

I noticed something that appeared to be bright yellow/orange and kind of frilly on the edge of an outgrowth of coral. I swam closer to take a photo and suddenly what appeared to be an eye was right in front of my mask. I became quite startled and swam out of there, but not without taking a photo. At the time I thought it was an octopus which was well blended in the coral.

I am not sure and would like your expert opinion. I am sending the photo. You can see the "eye" in the middle of the photo and just behind it you can see the yellow/orange thing that first attracted me.

Would you be able to tell me what this is? I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you,
Jude P.

Hi Jude,

Great photo! As I said via email, I'm really no expert... But I do love marine biology! My guess: perhaps a mooray eel? (see third picture down). You were in Moorea, after all! :) Any other guessers out there? Jude wil be watching this space for your input...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gmg

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak