[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Let's play

cephjedi

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if you know of any sort of marine life that could help me control this runaway amphipod and mysid shrimp colony I've amassed? :^D

No, seriously, I'm just checking in. How is your play tank project going? Have you had any luck getting any cephs in and/or identificating them? We are still very highly interested in starting a cuttlefish colony.

We also have some hermit crabs in our system that are getting far too comfortable.

Cheers! -Jim

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
You’re fortunate to have a big supply of amphipods and mysid shrimp. It’s the difficulty finding this type of small food that hinders people in the first months trying to raise cuttlefish.

My Octopus bimaculoides loved amiphipods when she was very young, but would also eat them as she found them when she was full grown. They must have been a good snack!

Nancy

cephjedi

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nancy!

Yeah, we've been encouraging the pod population specifically in anticipation of Dr. Wood's entreprenurial project. :smile:

Back when I first raised my hatchling O. joubini/mercatoris project in 1996 or so, I actually built a rack of 2 liter bottles and used it to cultivate the food chain. The top level was a culture of greenwater, which fed a culture of rotifers on the 2nd level. The enriched rotifers were fed to copepods on the 3rd level. The 4th level was anything I could get my hands on: lysmatid shrimp larvae, pods, fiddler crab larvae. It was a lot of work, and it worked great up until the second month. Those blasted juvie octos just quit eating anything at all around week 6.