[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Let's play

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
How hard was it to cut the acrylic so that the edges were smooth enough to seal? We read up on making a tank and decided not to try.

ceph

Wonderpus
Staff member
Full disclosure; I decided the same thing. I designed it but had a local professional build the tank. He makes high end acrylic furniture for wealthy clients. And custom tanks and gadgets for me and my aquarium clients.

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
Full disclosure; I decided the same thing. I designed it but had a local professional build the tank.
That is both sad and reassuring. I suspect it would not be all that bad with the right equipment but an disaster in the making without it.

Now for the question I have been wanting to ask but expected you to post if the answer was yes. Can you get local octopuses on request?

ceph

Wonderpus
Staff member
The guy that built the tank has a few hundred thousand invested in acrylic working equipment and decades of experience. Yeah, with time and equipment, I could probably have made something and it would work (hold water, do the job) but it wouldn't look like the professional job that it is. Sometimes it is best to go with experts; I got exactly what I wanted and it looks fantastic.

This tank is intended for cuttlefish eggs and grow outs. I'm focusing on importing and aquaculture right now which for me are *much* better options than collecting/purchasing, housing and shipping individual wild caught octopuses. I don't have any special local octopus sources. Where I used to collect 30 years ago, under the Blue Heron bridge, is now protected and besides, Octogirl does her research there.

I do have contacts with some of the best aquarium wholesale importers in the business.

Perhaps sometime down the road, I'll work with locally sourced Caribbean Reef Octopuses eggs and hatchlings again. And or design and have built a custom octopus tank.

Lots of balls in the air right now. This is my "play tank".

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branane

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan