lets be real...the kraken was an octopus

Q_ball31

Hatchling
Registered
Always had a dog in my life and have been researching octopuses for the past year and I think I’m finally ready to get one. The problem I keep having is running into a store in Indiana that sells them. Personally looking for a Bimacs due to the average size and friendliness that follows(:

Good to hear you are interested in having a bimac! If you plan on getting one in the future, I would set up a tank for it sooner rather than later! You will want the system to cycle for weeks/months before it will be ready for an octopus.

Welcome to the community, @Q_ball31 - do you shoot pool? 🎱 That's my thing!

Here's a great place to start; there are a few threads referenced here on cycling, etc:
:pool:

Yeah definitely need to get on that before. What livestock would you recommend to put in there to help the tank settle?
Sorry for the late response! Some things that I would recommend to add to a tank in order to get the nitrogen cycle started are: 1st start with ammonium chloride to kickstart your bacterial growth. (Make sure to add this after you have already added nitrifying bacteria). Something like Dr. Tims is what I have used in the past. If you add this early and check your water chems often you may be able to get away with a fully established tank without having to purchase any other critters to help establish a bio load.

This would be the easiest and cheapest method, but your best bet would be to add the bacteria, add the correct amount of ammonia, wait until the Nitrites go down to <30ppm and then add something like a handful of fiddler crabs or a local small crab species. Crabs are really dirty and they will do an excellent job of producing ammonia. If your tank can handle the waste from about 15 fiddler crabs, you should have no problem with a medium sized bimac.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back